Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoker Hotter than Shown Temperature  (Read 1376 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Smoker Hotter than Shown Temperature
« on: July 16, 2019, 02:52:05 PM »

I have always suspected my  3 year old DB was running hot and I made adjustments in my smoking to allow for this.  I did this by using a second rack and a foil vented heat shield below the second rack.  I confirmed it today by using two different probes from two different devices and it showed that my smoker is 50 to 60 degrees hotter than the temperature it is set for.

Now the question is do I keep doing what I have been doing or try to get it corrected?  If I do try to get the temperature corrected how would I do this.  I clean my temperature probe every time I clean my smoker.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

bregent

Re: Smoker Hotter than Shown Temperature
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 03:10:13 PM »

Is it Wifi? I believe the latest WiFi controller software has a temperature calibration setting that you can set from your mobile device. I'm not sure if will handle an offset of 60 degrees though.

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 04:00:43 PM »

If it is everywhere hotter, the wifi version does provide some adjustment to calibrate it.  I have never used it though.  If it is side to side different, the heat shield can be moved back and forth to provide some adjustment.  I have the two piece tray on mine, and if not foiled, it runs warmer than when foiled.  I guess the foil helps block some heat at the grate level.  You could always try the one piece tray if you have the two piece version and see if it changes anything.  Beyond that, replacing heat sensor and controller is about the only other thing I can think of.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 04:41:21 PM »

Is it Wifi? I believe the latest WiFi controller software has a temperature calibration setting that you can set from your mobile device. I'm not sure if will handle an offset of 60 degrees though.

It is a non-wifi model.

My sensors where in the middle of the smoker.  I do have the two piece tray and I have my heat deflector set where the ends are equal in temperature.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:43:52 PM by reubenray »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 05:13:48 PM »

So if you set it at 170, it runs at 230°?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 05:25:36 PM »

Figure out your grill grate temp vs controller temp based on the temp you usually cook at.  Then dial the controller up or down to the temp that you would like your grill grate to be, and you are done.

For example, if you grill grate temp is 350 and your controller is set at 300, knock down the temp on the controller until you get the grill grate temp to 300.  It will take some time the first time, but usually thereafter depending upon ambient temp changes, you should have a method.

Other option is to replace the controller with an aftermarket one that may perform better, but also may not.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 05:29:55 PM »

Figure out your grill grate temp vs controller temp based on the temp you usually cook at.  Then dial the controller up or down to the temp that you would like your grill grate to be, and you are done.

For example, if you grill grate temp is 350 and your controller is set at 300, knock down the temp on the controller until you get the grill grate temp to 300.  It will take some time the first time, but usually thereafter depending upon ambient temp changes, you should have a method.

Other option is to replace the controller with an aftermarket one that may perform better, but also may not.

This is actually what I have been doing.  I did not know if there was a simple solution to correct this.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 06:29:58 PM »

Not having any of that brand's grills, I can't help any more than my other post.  Hopefully, someone else has had a similar issue with that grill and can help you out better than me.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 01:57:59 PM »

What temp was it off this far? Set at 150-500 all the same average off? Fans working properly once temp stabilizes? Did you check temp at same location as the GMG one?

I have an older non-WiFi DB with one piece drip tray. I don't foil anymore because I felt that was (not worth it) hurting the temps also from other posts I have read. I have done the same as you by just knowing my grill where the temps are different across the main grate and cooking with that in mind. I have the 3 piece heat shield and have adjusted the left one to the far left as possible. This has helped some. 50-60 off is allot.

All that being said, I have never checked my temps with an outside device. There was a lot of posts on that other site when I first got mine in 2013 were people wanted to achieved one temp across the entire grate surface and that was never achieved. They just got "close enough" or got tied of trying. Some times there was a glitch in controllers that were running out of control but GMG would replace them quickly under warranty. I think their are so many factors in the wood fir it is hard to control. Maybe if they built the drip tray out of copper it would spreed the temp out across the area faster. Then again you would still have the heat just flowing around the 2 sides freely. If I remember someone tried to relocated the temp probe too a new location but I cant remember the results on that one. The grill only has one temp prob location to go by so the fire is controlled by that temp only. Then Convection, Conduction and Radiation heat transfer takes over.

Sorry not much help.

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 05:16:31 PM »

I had the DB set on 250 and my two probes were both showing over 300+-.  I plan to do more testing in a day or so without any food in it.  I have three smoker probes that I plan on using.  I will check it also with my drip tray wrapped with foil and without foil.  I am hoping the foil is not messing my temperatures up being the foil really helps me when cleaning the smoker.  I have the two piece trays.
Pages: [1]   Go Up