Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 19 Jul 2019
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

I guess you have to be a certain age in order to remember this event -- and just the sense of wonder and awe. The blast off, the orbiting, the landing, the walking on the moon -- just the whole thing.  I am not sure I have felt that same emotional in the 50 years sense.
  • #2 by yorkdude on 19 Jul 2019
  • It was an amazing accomplishment.
    Remember it quite well.
    Somewhere a few days ago I read a letter (that fortunately never had to be read) addressing the nation from Nixon, it is stirring to think about the necessity of such a letter. Thank God it wasn't necessary.
    It is hard to fathom how cutting edge that was especially given when it was done.
  • #3 by hughver on 19 Jul 2019
  • I'd left the Cape several months before that mission but for the three previous years I was an engineer working in the launch control center.
  • #4 by yorkdude on 19 Jul 2019
  • I'd left the Cape several months before that mission but for the three previous years I was an engineer working in the launch control center.
    Man that had to be neat, probably very little stress also. Kidding of course on the last part.
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 19 Jul 2019

What interesting things you must have been able to witness!!!
  • #6 by hughver on 19 Jul 2019
  • What interesting things you must have been able to witness!!!

Yes, but unfortunately, I was also there when the three astronauts died on the launch pad from a module fire.  :'(
  • #7 by LowSlowJoe on 26 Jul 2019
  • Crazy for me to even think about...   I was born in 1962, while John Glenn was orbiting the earth.  My first name is Glenn, at least in part named after John Glenn.   But anyway, I have fond memories of watching many rocket launches on TV and such. It was such a big deal back then, it almost seemed like one way or another, every time a rocket was launched back then, people ( especially school kids ) would have eyes glued to the TV watching.     It still seems so amazing to me that a object that big can take off like that...

Years later, they opened a Space Center museum in my home town , Jackson Michigan,  was the first time I saw one of those capsules up close... wow those things were/are tiny... 

Anyway, thinking back over my 57 years on earth, it still amazes me the things they have done to get in space and return safely ( the vast majority of times).   Yes, there have been some tragedies over the years too.  But wow, thinking back to that first Moon Mission, is crazy, so many memories of stuff that's happened since then, and how incredible it is that they were able to do that back then, when technology in general was just a very small fraction of what it is today.

• #8 by Trooper on 27 Jul 2019
  • Those guys definitely had a set of grommets.
    No doubt about it.
  • #9 by yorkdude on 27 Jul 2019
  • Those guys definitely had a set of grommets.
    No doubt about it.
    The “grommets” reminded me of my Dad, he would say, “now that guy must have big rivets”.
Pages:
Actions