Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dk117 on 20 Jul 2019
  • Just back from three weeks abroad.  I always forget how Italian diet is carb loaded and it's difficult and extremely expensive to get red meat.   Upon return I've been desperate for some beef.  I did have some excellent food in northern Italy, Rome not so much.   We picked up some duty free trufle oil and a pasta seasoning.   Tri Tip is always a go to so I used the oil as glue and the seasoning as rub.   Reverse sear and turned out great.

[ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Ralphie on 20 Jul 2019
  • Looks phenomenal. Did you detect any of the truffle oil flavor on the finished product?
  • #3 by dk117 on 20 Jul 2019
  • the truffle oil smelled heavenly as a glue.    Finished product, yes, subtle, but it was there.  I'll be using this again as a glue.
  • #4 by triplebq on 20 Jul 2019
  •  :clap: :lick:
  • #5 by yorkdude on 20 Jul 2019
  • That looks awesome, very nice. We have had truffle oil fries and couldn’t really taste it, at least we didn’t think so. Not to be stupid but what does it taste like best you can tell.
  • #6 by dk117 on 20 Jul 2019
  • earthy?  Just takes the olive oil to the next level IMO.  And it smells delicious. 

I googled it and got this answer:

When describing truffles some would say they taste like they smell: oaky, nutty and earthy, sweet and juicy with stinging savory notes like black olives. Often times the aroma of fresh truffle spores is stronger than the flavor, as even the strongest black truffles will not overpower other ingredients on the palate
  • #7 by cookingjnj on 20 Jul 2019
  • Looks awesome DK.  I love the flavor of truffle olive oil.  Never thought about rubbing on meat.  Will have to give that a shot.
  • #8 by Canadian John on 20 Jul 2019

•  If that beauty didn't quench your hunger for meat you would have had a problem..
  • #9 by ofelles on 20 Jul 2019
  • Grilling up a cowboy rib eye on m new toy tomorrow.  Will try truffle oil rub for glue sound good.  Thanks
  • #10 by Bentley on 20 Jul 2019
  • Interesting.  At $75/oz.,  I wonder if I could grind some walnuts and black olives and seep them in good EVOO and get close?

I googled it and got this answer:

When describing truffles some would say they taste like they smell: oaky, nutty and earthy, sweet and juicy with stinging savory notes like black olives. Often times the aroma of fresh truffle spores is stronger than the flavor, as even the strongest black truffles will not overpower other ingredients on the palate

The beef looks good!
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Jul 2019
  • That tri-tip looks great.

I have only cooked about a dozen of them, but I have not seen the grain run consistent where I could slice all the way across the meat like I would a brisket flat.  My limited experience has been the grain on a tri-tip changes on approximately one third of the roast and has been very challenging for me to see when slicing.

Did you see something similar or did your cut not have the grain running in multiple directions?
  • #12 by dk117 on 21 Jul 2019
  • Grain does change.  This is certainly not my best knife work (I was hungry)  I would have sliced much thinner.  But I've never bothered following this image.

I always cut like it shows on the right side, but all the way through.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #13 by ZCZ on 22 Jul 2019
  • Grain does change.  This is certainly not my best knife work (I was hungry)  I would have sliced much thinner.  But I've never bothered following this image.

I always cut like it shows on the left side, but all the way through.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Thank you for finding that!  I have one Tri Tip left from the package of two I bought at Costco.  Maybe cook it up this coming weekend.

Z
  • #14 by MustangBob on 22 Jul 2019

I always cut like it shows on the right side, but all the way through.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Let me make sure I understand this.  Those 'dashed lines' in the photo are not the grain of the meat -- those lines are the 'slicing guide' template, which if followed keeps your knife perpendicular to the grain of the meat.
  • #15 by LowSlowJoe on 24 Jul 2019
  • That cutting guide seems odd to me.   I more or less cut mine all the way like the photo shows on the left.

I think of the tri-tip like a boomerang , I start cutting at the corner where the two ends come together at a angle, and then just keep slicing parallel to that end.  Yet, I always feel that once your looking at it in person, it's pretty obvious which way the grain is really going. 

And, ultimately the cook can cut the darn thing anyway they like it, especially if they are the primary eater of the tri-tip too.
Pages:
Actions