Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 23 Jul 2019
  • Marcia and I would like to eat more chicken breasts for health reasons.  But they need added flavor.

My current and well-liked method is to sous-vide them with Herbes de Provence and butter, then finish them by sprinkling on Mrs. Dash’s Salt Free Table Blend when pan-browning them in ghee.  But we would welcome more flavor.

My next batch will be SVd with salt, pepper and garlic even though we need to go lightly on the salt.

What would you use when (1) SVing and (2) subsequently browning?
  • #2 by bregent on 23 Jul 2019
  • Just made some last night. S&P and rosemary. Sometimes we use tarragon. SV for 90 minutes at 140F.
  • #3 by pmillen on 23 Jul 2019
  • S&P and rosemary or S&P and tarragon in the bag?

Do you brown them after the 90-minute bath?
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Jul 2019
  • I usually only make them if they are soaked in Caribbean Jerk Lawry's marinade so probably not as healthy as you would like.
  • #5 by bregent on 23 Jul 2019
  • S&P and rosemary or S&P and tarragon in the bag?

Do you brown them after the 90-minute bath?

Right, S&P and then either tarragon or rosemary - all in the bag. I dried them off and browned with a propane torch - these were being chunked to put in a green salad. If making them as a main course I will chill them down a bit and then brown in a pan with either olive oil or browned butter.
  • #6 by bregent on 23 Jul 2019
  • I usually only make them if they are soaked in Caribbean Jerk Lawry's marinade so probably not as healthy as you would like.

That doesn't sound unhealthy to me. I'm gonna try that soon. Love Lawry's jerk sauce.
  • #7 by dk117 on 23 Jul 2019

That doesn't sound unhealthy to me. I'm gonna try that soon. Love Lawry's jerk sauce.
    I do love that Lawry's jerk sauce, but Stubb's Moppin Sauce is low carb. 
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Jul 2019

I found it best to slice into about 1-2 inch strips before putting in the marinade and then smoke at 250° on frogmats or something similar to keep them from falling thru the grill grates.  There seemed to be more marinade flavor on the meat as there was more surface to cover by cutting into slices than just soaking the entire breast in the marinade.
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 23 Jul 2019
  • Maybe mix some of your seasoning with a bit of your favorite oil or flavored vinegars and inject.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Jul 2019
  • Pick your favorite Italian salad dressing or Newman's own Oil & Vinegar (low sugar and low carb as well).  Use that in your sous vide, and then sear as usual.  Really tasty!

I used to use Wishbone Italian as a marinade for years with some worcestershire until I switched to Lawrys.
  • #11 by yorkdude on 23 Jul 2019
  • Wild wings (the wing shop) sells a 3 pack of marinade or coatings for chicken and other things, we really like the asian zing one and have marinated chicken in it. The other ones are honey bbq and parmesan garlic. We found them at Wal Mart. I have bought them several times, all of them are good just like the asian one the best.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Jul 2019
  • Wild wings (the wing shop) sells a 3 pack of marinade or coatings for chicken and other things, we really like the asian zing one and have marinated chicken in it. The other ones are honey bbq and parmesan garlic. We found them at Wal Mart. I have bought them several times, all of them are good just like the asian one the best.

I love the Buffalo Wild Wings Caribbean Jerk wing sauce but it is relatively spicey whereas Lawrys is not spicy but has the flavor profile.  I also love BWW Jammin Jalapeno and Spicy Garlic wing sauces.  You can buy them by the bottle at the restaurant.
  • #13 by Kristin Meredith on 23 Jul 2019
  • I guess I would need to know more about the kind of flavor profiles you all like. 

You can always use teriyaki.  I think you could use a red enchilada sauce or a green chili verde sauce.  Butter and thyme is a classic.  Lemon and pepper with garlic. A jalapeno-pineapple mixture.  There are many combos.
  • #14 by Bentley on 23 Jul 2019
  • You could stuff it with ham and Swiss Cheese, roll it in panko and fry it....sorry, Not following guidelines...  Key word here is flavorless.
  • #15 by reubenray on 23 Jul 2019
  • I would want mine to taste like pork.   :D
Pages:
Actions