Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by MoonBeam on 28 Jul 2019
  • I'm about order a supply of pellets for my PG1000.

In the past I've narrowed my choices down to either 100% Hickory or a Pecan / Cherry mix.
    Now I'm thinking about trying a few hundred pounds of the Cooking pellets product.

I tend to keep my hopper full so I'm not wanting to experiment with a bunch of different types of pellets.

I'll be using the pellets for smoking and grilling and I'm looking for a noticeable smoke profile..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    TNX
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Jul 2019
  • I enjoy both of them but a lot of people say 100% hickory produces a stronger smoke profile than the perfect mix.  I usually split my order 50/50 but will be buying some cherry and apple my next order.
  • #3 by Bentley on 28 Jul 2019
  • Perfect Mix is just that!
  • #4 by Mudflap on 28 Jul 2019
  • Perfect Mix is just that!

+1

Still using the ones I won from this site some time ago.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=1801.msg20886#msg20886

I got some apple mash, 100% Hickory and Perfect Mix. All are good to me but when I buy some more I personal like the perfect mix for all foods.

Mudflap
  • #5 by triplebq on 28 Jul 2019
  • My advice would be to purchase 1 bag of Perfect Mix and 1 bag of 100% Hickory. Cook with both of them and see which one you like best. Then order a large supply of which one you like best.

Only you will be able to determine which one is right for you.
  • #6 by litzerski on 29 Jul 2019
  • I tried them all and prefer the Perfect Mix as well.  I have a bit of LJ and other pellets to get through, then I'll place a bulk order for Perfect Mix.
  • #7 by MP09 on 04 Aug 2019
  • I've tried a lot of different brands and flavors and i always come back to PERFECT MIX.  I do the bulk buys and it brings the price down to a decent deal.
  • #8 by Ross77 on 05 Aug 2019
  • I prefer 100% hickory.  It provides the most intense smoke flavor IMO.
  • #9 by Ssteppe on 12 Aug 2019
  • I use 100% Hickory for pork (ribs, butt) and beef snack sticks ("Slim Jims")

I prefer Perfect Mix for poultry and salmon, where I want smoke flavor, but not strong hickory
  • #10 by MikeMcQ on 20 Sep 2019
  • Another for Perfect Mix as my primary pellet pork, poultry, fish whatever except beef use 100% Hickory.
  • #11 by saltandpepper on 18 Nov 2019
  • I enjoy both of them but a lot of people say 100% hickory produces a stronger smoke profile than the perfect mix.  I usually split my order 50/50 but will be buying some cherry and apple my next order.

This. For best smokey flavor it's hard to beat 100% hickory.
    But I'd join the others and suggest that you should try both: as you know, for each is own, especially when it comes to pellets.
  • #12 by MP09 on 29 Dec 2019
  • Recently several of my friends tested perfect mix, 100% hickory, black cherry and some other brands. Conclusion, not a lot of difference but perfect mix turned out to be the go to pellet. Some of the other brands tested were ok but we all felt they lacked the quality. Bulk buys is the way to go and a phone call can get you some very good deals...
  • #13 by GASmoker on 29 Dec 2019
  • What made it "the go to"? The most pronounced smoke flavor? The least amount of ash? The best price? What was the criteria for it being the go to?
  • #14 by Bentley on 29 Dec 2019
  • Peoples opinion...
  • #15 by MP09 on 31 Dec 2020
  • Great blend, not a noticeable difference in smoke. Ash was minimum and not a factor. Everyone agreed that having one type and not having to mix, dump out other type of pellet etc. was a no brainer.  Conclusion, whatever works for you is all that matters...
Pages:
Actions