Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dk117 on 29 Jul 2019
  • Been doing this one for a few years, don't know that I've shared on PF.   Nice treat for out of season Turkey and another good reason to be friendly with the butcher.  I got a 17 lb Turkey for under $12. 

The stack:.
    Focaccia bread.  My wife oils then toasts in the oven.
    Pesto Aioli  (my version, about 50% pesto, 50% kraft mayo).
    Butterball frozen turkey, my brine for 2 days, then on the Gator and sliced.
    Tomatoes (heirloom if you can get them)
    More turkey
    Fresh mozzarella (usually melted but I was hungry.)

Missing was some fresh basil.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #2 by pmillen on 29 Jul 2019
  • That's a good idea—an off-season turkey.  It looks and sounds wonderful.

I brine and smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving and Marcia roasts one in the kitchen oven.  I tend to prefer mine—she...hers.

We have enough people gathered that not much is left of either one.

• #3 by Ralphie on 29 Jul 2019
  • I would pay for that sandwich!
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jul 2019
  • For some odd reason, don't know why, a smoked turkey sandwich has been on my mind the last several weeks.  Maybe it is the abundance of garden fresh tomatoes now available.  The sandwich looks delicious!

I've been eating a lot of BLT with ham and cheese sandwiches the last few weeks due to fresh tomatoes being in stores.  I may have to try a smoked turkey one in place of the ham.
  • #5 by yorkdude on 29 Jul 2019
  • We just had BLT/Ham club sandwiches the other night with fresh tomatoes also & our bacon, it is that time of the year.
    Just curious, does anyone else on a BLT only (not club) put american cheese on them? I do and my wife thinks I am goofy. I also use a little celery salt with pepper, she does like that part.
    The off season smoked turkey is an excellent idea and the sandwich looks terrific.
  • #6 by Ralphie on 29 Jul 2019
  • I do not put American cheese on a BLT.  If I alter a BLT, it's to add a slice of pepper jack or cheddar and a fried egg with runny yoke.  Bread must be toasted.  Slice sandwich in half and let the yoke unload, then eat.  This sandwich is a culinary treasure.

However, one of my all time favorites with nice summer tomatoes is a sandwich of just tomato sliced thick, white american cheese, and miracle whip (or mayo).  I've eaten these throughout every summer since I was a kid.  Don't forget to salt and pepper the tomato.

But now I'm thinking smoked turkey if I can get a decent price.   
  • #7 by yorkdude on 29 Jul 2019
  • I also toast my bread, I just forgot to add that initially.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jul 2019
  • I've been using Swiss on my sandwiches and either Sriracha or Chipotle mayo on a slightly toasted bread.  I don't like tearing the upper part of my mouth apart with hard crunchy toasted bread.  I sometimes use peppered bacon too.
Pages:
Actions