Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Blaz'n Grills

Loading Grand Slam in Pickup

(1/2) > >>

captaink:
Any of you guys have a decent method of loading a Blazn in a pickup.  Grand Slam is like 180 lb so manageable but not easy.  I was thinking ramps but wondering if I'd be able to push it up them.  I'm good size but just wondered if anyone had done this.

okie smokie:
Just sold my Grand Slam last month.  Best method for the buyer: 
1. First emptied all the loose stuff, including the heat deflector, grates, etc.  (my custom grates weighed 20 lbs). 
2.  Used a mini van with the back seats folded forward.
3.  Two guys of young but average build
4.  Rolled it to the open back door, tilted it top first into the van (protected the bottom with a blanket) keeping the lid closed I think with a rope around the body. Then slid it on its back into the van. 

I think you could do the same with a pickup but it would be higher up to lift as you tilt it.
I don't think it would be lifted with one average guy, just because of the size, clumsy. I don't think keeping it on its wheels would be wise. 
Another suggestion, might be to lay it on its back and remove the legs.  then it could remain upright in the truck.  Again requiring a good deal of protection with moving blankets or the like. 

Or are you just taking it somewhere to cook with and return home with??????

Bar-B-Lew:
I did something very similar to what Okie said when I loaded my used Grand Slam into the back of my Honda Pilot.  Empty the pellets out too ;)  You can use bungee cords to strap down the lid.

Bentley:
Been so long since I have need to put a unit in the back of a truck, trailer for the last 18 year.  With the tailgate down, where does it hit the back of the unit?  I was always...get it close, put big blanket around pit, lean it up against tailgate and lift legs and shove on.

Did not always go smoothly!

My answer to your question is no.  I always wanted to attach one of those engine pullers to one side of the truck and use it as a hoist!

pmillen:
Advice from a guy who’s had three back surgeries from poor lifting technique–

Ramps into a pickup are usually too steep to be workable.

I’d invest in a Tommy Lift if loading and unloading is a repeated activity.

If I were only loading and unloading once or twice, I’d marshal three friends and have everyone grab a corner and hoist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View