Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pbison on 12 Aug 2019
  • Hello, new poster here.

I researched pellet grills for months and after a lot of consideration settled on the Stampede due to its stainless steel construction, included wi-fi, and great reviews.

When I received it, there were numerous small issues with it.  Scratches on the top of the barrel, between the hopper and grille body, and on the auger housing.  One of the brackets that holds up the heat deflector was off a rivet.  The heat deflector itself was a bit crooked.  One of the lid rests was not bent straight.  The grease chute showed some corrosion.  The lid didn't close tight on one side.  And there was a gap in the sealant inside the body.  There was no visible damage from shipping, so this was evidently all just manufacturing flaws.

Any one of these things by itself is pretty insignificant.  But I don't understand how a grille with so many flaws gets shipped out.   I almost sent it back but I called Rec Tec and sent them pictures.  They gave me a credit which I will use in part for a front shelf if they ever get around to releasing it.  I grudgingly decided that would be preferable to the hassle of returning it.

I am pretty pleased with the performance.  It gets up to temp quickly for a pellet grill, holds temps well, and gets to over 550 degrees.  I made great ribs and the best steaks I've ever cooked.  But I discovered the alerts on the app don't work.  I also got the all weather vents for it, which were poorly done.  They don't mount very securely and weren't weathertight at all, with large gaps on the sides and bottom.  The edges are quite sharp and I'm concerned they will end up shredding the cover.  I used some RTV sealant to mount them, which works but looks terrible.  Also the rather thin grates move around quite a lot and will smack the temperature probe if you're not careful. 

All in all, coming from a Napoleon propane grill I'm disappointed.  I'm still considering returning it just out of principle.  None of the problems will affect how it cooks, but I feel like I bought a $300 grill with stainless steel parts.  Not a single Traeger or even Pitt Boss I saw in box stores was as poorly built...they were just made of cheaper materials.   

Anyway, since Rec Tec curates their reviews I figured I'd try to get my experience out somewhere.  I guess if it holds up for 10 years with little fuss I'll be satisfied with it.  It does seem to be versatile enough to replace my propane grill, which can't be said of most pellet grills.
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 12 Aug 2019
  • How many pellet grills have you owned?
  • #3 by okie smokie on 12 Aug 2019
  • Sorry to hear all this.  I have 3 of the Stampedes in my family and all have been well finished and performed well.  I would have sent it back--period.  They would have sent you another if you wished (or so I am told).  I will admit that they could have had a little heavier gauge of SS, and all the lids leak on one side or the other. I asked them about putting a gasket around the lid and they did not approve of this.  They said that the leaks are common and of no functional consequence. As a result, there is a nice dark stain around the edges of the lid which none of us (3) seem to mind.  Otherwise they function well, are easy to clean, and while the grates are indeed only 3/16" thick, they are 302 SS and will last as long as we will.  I have no corrosion on any of the 430 SS, although it can occur.  However, 430 SS has better tolerance for heat, and while it might corrode on the surface in a humid environment, it does not easily rust thru.  if it is inside the barrel, then I would not worry much about it, as it will cover with oil, ash and creosote residue.  I had a Blaz'n Grand Slam, and while it was well built, and all around heavy duty, it was not as easy to use and internal rusting was "normal" for it but again not a problem.  Also had some leak around the lid as well.  I agree the stampede vent add ons are not well made or fitting.  I ordered them on the first two units but not on mine. See no need for them since I can run my Stampede under the roof of my porch when it rains.  If I was going to use sealant on them I would use the high temp gray, instead of the red. It looks great with SS and has even better heat tolerance.

I hope you will find the STPD continues to work well for you, and no other defects appear.  Keep us posted.  :2cents:
  • #4 by Th3Batman86 on 12 Aug 2019
  • I went through this with RecTec. They refuse to update their packaging. The items are getting damaged in shipping due to poor packaging. Isn't the carriers fault, bad design. Sent back two grills before finally asking for a refund. They sent me a third grill for free to try and keep me from giving a poor review. The third grill showed up damaged as well. I will not buy any more RecTec products.
  • #5 by Ross77 on 12 Aug 2019
  • Interesting.  I have a 680 and two of my friends have Stampedes.  Neither have the issues you describe but anything can happen.  Apparently some get past QC inspection with flaws. 
  • #6 by Th3Batman86 on 13 Aug 2019
  • Interesting.  I have a 680 and two of my friends have Stampedes.  Neither have the issues you describe but anything can happen.  Apparently some get past QC inspection with flaws.

In my experience it wasn't QC inspection. I believe that the grills probably left the warehouse in good shape, but they poor packaging caused them to be damaged in transit.
  • #7 by pbison on 13 Aug 2019
  • I looked long and hard at the Blaz'n too.  My mom was born in Beatrice NE so that was neat.  In the end though it was considerably more expensive with shipping and options.  I also didn't have much confidence in a company that doesn't support online ordering and recently ended dealer relations.   

Maks are very nice but too much money, at least for my first pellet grill.  Maybe for the next one.

Yoder was just too heavy to put on my composite deck and I didn't like the chome plated grates or the rattle can paint and how rust prone they are.  Holy cow do they impress in person though, built like tanks.

I liked Grilla, both the original Grilla and the Silverbac.  They seem to be well thought out.  But I preferred Rec Tec's stainless body and wi-fi.

The Smoke-N-Hot grills are pretty intriguing, but not a lot out there on them yet.

I actually like the new Traeger Ironwood and the fact that I can buy them locally, along with replacement parts and accessories.  But I didn't like the build materials or being limited to 450 degrees.

So I do believe the Stampede was the right choice for me on paper.  I realize stuff happens, there's just a lot of stuff that "happened" on mine and overall it just wasn't built well. 

It has discolored quite a bit already but I expected that, just the nature of smoking with stainless steel.  I may seal the lid for that reason alone. 

I was thinking about the all weather vents, and I wonder if they just use the same ones as the Trailblazer, which has a round barrel instead of the flat sided octagon.  That would explain the way they fit to some extent, though they aren't exactly smoothly curved either. 

I did also have an issue on my fourth cook where it wouldn't go below 270 degrees.  It was sitting in the sun in about 85 degree humid weather and I had neglected to clean out the burn pot.  I cleaned it and reduced the minimum feed rate to 40.  Last cook it stayed at around 205 on LO.  I may reduce the feed rate all the way down.  I don't really need to, would just like to, so may call Rec Tec and ask them what they think.

• #8 by okie smokie on 13 Aug 2019

In my experience it wasn't QC inspection. I believe that the grills probably left the warehouse in good shape, but they poor packaging caused them to be damaged in transit.
    Batman, When did this damage in shipping occur?  We received all three of our units from August 2018 to June 2019 very well packed and well handled in shipping.  No damage of any kind! I noted that the packaging was very good, but required special handling by the shipper (which they did). Shipper kept me informed from origin to delivery. Perhaps you had a different shipper who was to blame. My impression was that shipper takes responsibility for damage in shipping. ?? Shipper has to approve packaging before accepting large items for shipping-as they bear risk of enroute damage.  If your experience was before August 2018, then maybe the packaging was not as good then. Also, keep in mind that RecTec gets the units made and packed in China first-so we don't know if they repackage them here or what other variables are involved.  In the end RecTec is responsible for getting the unit to you in perfect shape and I am satisfied that they did so with me. Sounds like they tried to do the right thing for you times 3.  I suspect that the carrier was to blame. I am sorry you had this experience.  :2cents:
  • #9 by okie smokie on 13 Aug 2019
  • I looked long and hard at the Blaz'n too.  My mom was born in Beatrice NE so that was neat.  In the end though it was considerably more expensive with shipping and options.  I also didn't have much confidence in a company that doesn't support online ordering and recently ended dealer relations.   

Maks are very nice but too much money, at least for my first pellet grill.  Maybe for the next one.

Yoder was just too heavy to put on my composite deck and I didn't like the chome plated grates or the rattle can paint and how rust prone they are.  Holy cow do they impress in person though, built like tanks.

I liked Grilla, both the original Grilla and the Silverbac.  They seem to be well thought out.  But I preferred Rec Tec's stainless body and wi-fi.

The Smoke-N-Hot grills are pretty intriguing, but not a lot out there on them yet.

I actually like the new Traeger Ironwood and the fact that I can buy them locally, along with replacement parts and accessories.  But I didn't like the build materials or being limited to 450 degrees.

So I do believe the Stampede was the right choice for me on paper.  I realize stuff happens, there's just a lot of stuff that "happened" on mine and overall it just wasn't built well. 

It has discolored quite a bit already but I expected that, just the nature of smoking with stainless steel.  I may seal the lid for that reason alone. 

I was thinking about the all weather vents, and I wonder if they just use the same ones as the Trailblazer, which has a round barrel instead of the flat sided octagon.  That would explain the way they fit to some extent, though they aren't exactly smoothly curved either. 

I did also have an issue on my fourth cook where it wouldn't go below 270 degrees.  It was sitting in the sun in about 85 degree humid weather and I had neglected to clean out the burn pot.  I cleaned it and reduced the minimum feed rate to 40.  Last cook it stayed at around 205 on LO.  I may reduce the feed rate all the way down.  I don't really need to, would just like to, so may call Rec Tec and ask them what they think.
    I called RecTec service and they (he) said I should lower the pellet feed rate (factory set at 63) to 35 since I live in Oklahoma. He assured me that it would allow lower smoking temps without flameout due to my climate location.  I never cook below 200 anyhow since I am not a cheese or salmon guy so no problem.
  • #10 by Bentley on 13 Aug 2019
  • Welcome to the site.

Now I am going to give you my thoughts, keep in mind I am not a touchy, feely guy!

I am always leery of a person that comes on to any site and there 1st post is a bad review.  For me, you have no standing on my site, so your words don't ring true or false!  I will say, I believe you did it in a respectful manner...But...

You have had your say on the issues, its done.  By your own admission you have been given 1. the opportunity to be made whole, return the unit and move on.  2., you have been compensated (and since you took the compensation I say you have been made whole) for the flaws!  YOU chose to take the money and LIVE with it. 

This thread will stand and can be active as long as it does not devolve into simply bashing a Manufacture...Time will tell if you become a contributing member and get standing on this site!

When I received it, there were numerous small issues with it.  Scratches on the top of the barrel, between the hopper and grille body, and on the auger housing.  One of the brackets that holds up the heat deflector was off a rivet.  The heat deflector itself was a bit crooked.  One of the lid rests was not bent straight.  The grease chute showed some corrosion.  The lid didn't close tight on one side.  And there was a gap in the sealant inside the body.  There was no visible damage from shipping, so this was evidently all just manufacturing flaws.

I almost sent it back but I called Rec Tec and sent them pictures.  They gave me a credit which I will use in part for a front shelf if they ever get around to releasing it. I grudgingly decided that would be preferable to the hassle of returning it.

I am pretty pleased with the performance.   

Anyway, since Rec Tec curates their reviews I figured I'd try to get my experience out somewhere.

I did also have an issue on my fourth cook where it wouldn't go below 270 degrees.  It was sitting in the sun in about 85 degree humid weather and I had neglected to clean out the burn pot.
  • #11 by pbison on 13 Aug 2019
  • Welcome to the site.

Now I am going to give you my thoughts, keep in mind I am not a touchy, feely guy!

I am always leery of a person that comes on to any site and there 1st post is a bad review.  For me, you have no standing on my site, so your words don't ring true or false!  I will say, I believe you did it in a respectful manner...But...

You have had your say on the issues, its done.  By your own admission you have been given 1. the opportunity to be made whole, return the unit and move on.  2., you have been compensated (and since you took the compensation I say you have been made whole) for the flaws!  YOU chose to take the money and LIVE with it. 

This thread will stand and can be active as long as it does not devolve into simply bashing a Manufacture...Time will tell if you become a contributing member and get standing on this site!

Understood and agree, I made my choice. 

So on another note, here's some pics of my first attempts at ribs and steak.  Not the prettiest, I need some practice there, but still delicious. 

I used Grill Grates for the steak.

• #12 by pmillen on 13 Aug 2019
  • That looks like a fine meal.  Please share the preparation (seasonings and the like) and the process (pit setting, direct or indirect, lid up or down and whatever you think is important).  Maybe I can improve my steaks rather than just looking at those that someone else does better.
  • #13 by pbison on 13 Aug 2019
  • That looks like a fine meal.  Please share the preparation (seasonings and the like) and the process (pit setting, direct or indirect, lid up or down and whatever you think is important).  Maybe I can improve my steaks rather than just looking at those that someone else does better.

The steak I cooked at about 200 until they reached about 115.  Then took them off and cranked up the heat.  When it reached 500 I put them back on, on Grill Grates, for about 2 minutes on each side, turning after 1 minute to get the cross-hatch.  They were between 130-135.  I just used salt and pepper, personally I'm not a fan of steak seasoning.  They had a nice smokey flavor without being too strong.

One thing I didn't properly consider when buying a grill is how much space the Grill Grates take up when you are smoking and searing in the same cook.  I may get their shelf at some point.

These particular ribs I just cooked for about 6 hours at 245, saucing with about 30 minutes left.  I liked them.  Just used Blues Brothers rub.  I have since used the 3-2-1 method with Three Pigs KC Rub.  I think those came out overdone but the wife and kids liked them better so it's probably what I'll stick with.  Still experimenting. 

I've found that it even works pretty well just for a few quick brats, only takes about 15-20 minutes to get up to temp.  I have a local store that sells 40 pound bags of Lumberjack pellets for $15.  I'm not finding much reason to keep my propane grill so far, but I'm waiting to see how the Stampede does in below freezing temps first.
  • #14 by Th3Batman86 on 13 Aug 2019

Batman, When did this damage in shipping occur?  We received all three of our units from August 2018 to June 2019 very well packed and well handled in shipping.  No damage of any kind! I noted that the packaging was very good, but required special handling by the shipper (which they did). Shipper kept me informed from origin to delivery. Perhaps you had a different shipper who was to blame. My impression was that shipper takes responsibility for damage in shipping. ?? Shipper has to approve packaging before accepting large items for shipping-as they bear risk of enroute damage.  If your experience was before August 2018, then maybe the packaging was not as good then. Also, keep in mind that RecTec gets the units made and packed in China first-so we don't know if they repackage them here or what other variables are involved.  In the end RecTec is responsible for getting the unit to you in perfect shape and I am satisfied that they did so with me. Sounds like they tried to do the right thing for you times 3.  I suspect that the carrier was to blame. I am sorry you had this experience.  :2cents:

Okie Smokie - I appreciate your position and your 2cents. The boxes when they arrived were in immaculate condition. This was with a RecTec Bullseye grill. An employee I spoke to at RecTec before I got connected with management admitted that it was a problem (the poor packaging) and that mine was not the only one they were dealing with that shifted around too much in the box. Stuff happens, maybe they have addressed it. When I left a poor review the owner of RecTec (I forget his name, the loud one) called and yelled at me for having the audacity to leave a bad review. There is a write up on here somewhere. As I said, he ended up sending me a free one, which I used a bit then sold because it is a flawed design. But the whole interaction left a bad taste in my mouth for RecTec. I am not trying to hijack this thread or anything, just responding to you. I know that Bently and Kristin don't want MFG. bashing on this site so I hope this didn't go too far as I am only speaking from personal exp. and interactions.
  • #15 by Bentley on 13 Aug 2019
  • You keep making posts like this and you will fit right in!

So on another note, here's some pics of my first attempts at ribs and steak.  Not the prettiest, I need some practice there, but still delicious. 

I used Grill Grates for the steak.
Pages:
Actions