Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Clonesmoker on 13 Aug 2019
  • Since I changed routers at home. I decided to start back from scratch with my DB set up. Even went back to the set up manual. I finally caved and started using the second slinging grease tray also. I got everything hooked back up, updated to the latest software, best WiFi connection I have ever gotten also!! I just started doing a heat test also so I could get a better grasp on temps.  I was looking at the manual and saw the picture of the Chimney cap with the "two finger" salute used as a measurement guide for the opening. I looked at mine and instead of around 1.5" mine was at a half inch. I opened mine up and used a tape measure to get to 1.5" which is at the end of the threads.

Does the opening height really matter that much. My assumption is that chimney lowered holds the heat in more and with it opened more heat to escape. I have a downward facing 3" stove pipe elbow on the inside also. Would love to hear others takes on chimney height.TIA!!
  • #2 by ICIdaho on 13 Aug 2019
  • Mine is as high as it goes.  I think you can find some benefit to heat retention by messing with it, but it is not worth it to me.  Anyone who has ever tried starting a fire in a stove with a damper closed too far understands the importance of letting it breathe.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Aug 2019
  • Yeah, I have heard you can choke the air movement and resulting fire pot by having the cap too low.  Unlike a stick burner where the dampers control temps, I think pellet grills need more air to escape to manage airflow.  I would go with manufacturer recommendations as it may have some impact on the how the controller was programmed.
  • #4 by Clonesmoker on 03 Sep 2019
  • Since I opened my chimney cap more, my side to side temps have been pretty even!!  Updating my router also seemed to get rid of my app issues (not staying connected).  I also added the top drip tray (already had the bottom one).  I've had a lot of good cooks lately. (knock on wood).  Pretty darn happy with the way things are going now. 
  • #5 by Canadian John on 03 Sep 2019

•  The cap gap or height question never seems to die.. Back in the day,Way back, the original pellet grill,Traeger did not have a cap on their chimneys...The sole reason for the cap was to keep the rain out..The cap solved the rain problem and generated an other.The bolt that mounts the cap has a full length thread that allowed the cap to be installed from its proper intended height to Zero height..Guidance was minimal to lacking re cap gap resulting in the cap gap being just about anywhere..When people reduced the gap with the the intention of holding the heat in* as on a wood stove, problems arose due to reduced air flow. Pellet pits have fans to generate air flow for efficient combustion. Conventional wood stoves don't..*.Holding the heat in was driven by a minimally sized and controlled burn system caused slow warm-up times. Low max temps in the cold and wind Etc.Thus the thermo blankets...Long winded I know. Hope you better understand cap gap now.
Pages:
Actions