Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 16 Aug 2019
  • I usually hand slice any more, even though I have a manual jerky cutter from cabelas as well as the bigger one that fits their larger grinder motor. I like mine on the thicker side most of the time, 3/8" is not uncommon, I also seem to like nice slabs of meat cut with the grain, over thinner narrower strips.

I have a 10" Berkel I got used, and am thinking of trying it.

So does anyone use a deli slicer and if you do do you partially freeze or just go at it unfrozen?

thank you.
  • #2 by GREG-B on 16 Aug 2019
  • I use a commercial slicer for my jerky partially frozen and usually go 1/4" or a shade thicker and always go cross grain.  Still tweaking my recipe to get the flavor profile I would like to become accustomed to.  When I pull it from the freezer, the outside is quite firm and the middle is just cold but, it holds it's form while slicing.
  • #3 by yorkdude on 16 Aug 2019
  • I also have a Berkel but almost never use it, I have a smaller one I got at Cabelas that works just fine and I don't need a forklift to move it.
    I usually try to have it a tad frozen, if not I find you end up with a tail at the back end of the meat you are cutting. Not sure if that makes any sense to anyone.
    I alleviate it by turning the meat so that the first edge to the blade on a few cuts is rotated 180º for the next few slices.
    Sorry but that is the best way I can describe it.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Aug 2019
  • I'm sticking with my attachment for my LEM grinder. I had my Dad slice the roasts semi frozen one time and didn't like how it turned out.  Can't explain it, but didn't like it.  But, to each his own.  My preference may not be yours so give it a try.  Doesn't hurt to experiment.  That is how we find out what works for each of us.
Pages:
Actions