Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by AnyExcuse2Q on 16 Aug 2019
  • Friend took me to a new (to me) BBQ place today. (Smoke & Shine in Kirkland, WA)  More like a BBQ bar to be honest.

I had the baby back ribs, and they had a much harder smoke than I usually do myself.  Nearly black on the outside, but still mostly moist internally. As noted, very strong smoke flavor.  Deep smoke ring. Didn't get what wood used, just "Local Fruitwood".

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say it was about 3-4 times the smoke flavor I get from my Traeger (where I usually do about an hour or 2 on smoke setting, then 3-2-1). Was surprising at first bite, but certainly good and enjoyable.  How do people feel about that strong of a smoke? I know my wife would find it inedible, but I liked it so much I forgot to try their sauces.  :D
  • #2 by okie smokie on 16 Aug 2019
  • I don't like it too smoky. But to each his own. 
  • #3 by Canadian John on 16 Aug 2019
  •  
    Anything I smoke no matter what pit or wood turns out well smoke wise.

I had ribs at a small store/take out just off I75 in Kentucky that were a bit on the dry side  and way over smoked..Tasted like a burned house smells after a fire- house burnt to the ground..Man that was strong.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Aug 2019
  • Let us know if you belched all night after eating them.  If so, probably too much smoke for me.  I never get that reaction after smoking on the pellet grill but always get it after eating something off a stick burner no matter how clear the smoke looks coming out of it.
  • #5 by Bentley on 16 Aug 2019
  • If I burp and don't taste smoke it is just right!
  • #6 by Mudflap on 17 Aug 2019
  • Was it cooked on a stick burner or pellet pit? I'm thinking it was a stick burner.

If I burp and don't taste smoke it is just right!

+1 on the burp

Mudflap
  • #7 by AnyExcuse2Q on 17 Aug 2019
  • No burps.  :-[

Not sure what kind of pit, sorry. Their web page shows a vertical smoker, but could just be a stock image. Got a taste of their brisket, and it wasn't as strong as the ribs.
  • #8 by Trooper on 17 Aug 2019
  • I had some ribs in St. Louis years back that were mega-smoked. Like Chared.
    I learned right there that there's nothing worse than over-smoked meat.
  • #9 by urnmor on 24 Aug 2019
  • I do not mind a mild smoke taste however I am not a fan of heavy smoke as I think it detracts from the taste of the meat and the rest of the meal
  • #10 by cookingjnj on 24 Aug 2019
  • I find I get the perfect amount of smoke from my pellet pit.  I have enjoyed just about everything I have cooked on it.  I do have a smoke tube, but have never felt the need to use it to this point.
Pages:
Actions