Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by captaink on 27 Aug 2019
  • I'd like to pick your brains and see what you guys thought.  I'll try to make this short but.   I have a Grand Slam with the add in shelf kit.  It should be noted I also have a hurds downdraft.  As many of you know with the shelf kits in  that bottom grate is either not usable or a huge pain because you can't get to the meat..  I had the idea of why not just get another shelf, lay it on the bottom grate and then I can pull it in and out as needed.  No matter what the bottom grate over the firepot runs hotter....up to 10 degrees.  Shelf on it or shelf off.  What I found though is by laying the shelf on the bottom grate the temp on the 2nd shelf goes down 10 degrees, as well as the temp on the bottom grate now.  Pull it out and they go up 10 degrees.  I found this to be very consistent like that shelf was either absorbing heat or blocking air flow.  I also found that running the shelf in it's normal spot the 2 shelves ran almost exactly the same at set while the bottom grate ran 10 degrees hotter.  Getting an extra shelf is $70.  I ran this test over and over again and every time I ran with the shelf on the bottom grate the temp dropped on that 2nd shelf and the lower grate.  I've always thought that using that 1st shelf does create a hot zone under it a bit since they are closer together.  Anyway I can't decide if my idea is still a good one or not.  It does accomplish what I want and is manageable.  The temp difference is still there regardless, but If I'm creating a flow issue though then I might have 2nd thoughts. That temp swing when I use the shelf on the grate is very definite.  I could look for another option that's not as heavy as another shelf.  All these tests were without meat.  Anyway I know this is an odd post but I'm becoming very anal about learning my pit top to bottom since I started competing. I'd like that extra capacity as well.  Just curious what you guys thought. 
  • #2 by keithj69 on 28 Aug 2019
  • Interesting.  I have a gridiron with the shelves.  I actually do not use one of the big shelves and never thought about putting it at the bottom to help with the temp differences.  Going to test it tonight.

Currently though, I use the grate level space as a place to put 2 temp probes and if I want to use a water pan or drip pan down there and/or a smoke tube.
Pages:
Actions