Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 29 Aug 2019
  • Was at sams the over the weekend and picked up a pack of large boneless skinless chicken breast. almost 7 pound in 4 breast halves.

I weighed them out of the pack and lost a bit over a pound in the tray and the diaper. Once some of the nasty stuff was trimmed, had slightly over 5 pound.

Mixed up:
    2 T fine ground black pepper
    1.5 T Granulated Garlic
    1.5 T Sea Salt
    1 Teaspoon Cure 1

Once sliced I layered them on sheet a pan and sprinkled each layer, when don I transferred them to the plastic cambro layering and sprinkling until all my mix was used. Then into the fridge, plan was for 1.5 days but ended up being 2.5 days.

Laid them out on the Copperhead 7 racks as the smoker fired up, dusted the top with some Garlic and Butter wing seasoning from Con Yeager. Smoked/dried at 150 setting, temps again ran hotter by the display, I have never checked cabinet temps

It was in for about 9 hours, rotated racks at 6 hours just top and bottom ones.

Turned out pretty good, I would have liked more spice but most of the others that will eat it are not big on spicy stuff, although the fine black pepper did add a little kick.

Turkey breasts will be soon on sale so will no doubt make some from turkey.

The fourth picture is the 6 hour mark before rotating.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Aug 2019
  • Looks good.  How was texture compared to pork or beef jerky?
  • #3 by yorkdude on 30 Aug 2019
  • Nice job, interested to hear about texture also.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 30 Aug 2019

•  Very nicely done! Excellent photos..+3 on texture.
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 30 Aug 2019
  • As you guys know texture has a lot to do with how it is sliced and thickness.

I cut it the length of the breast, discovered after the first one it was easier to cut in half cross ways then cut longways, if that makes sense.

I seem to be liking my meat cut on the thicker side, most people are 1/4" folks I am over that sometimes closer to 3/8". I like a nice harder outside with that soft more tender and chewy inside. With chicken breast you get what you get, sometimes the bone side is nice others it is ragged, so you do not get a nice slice. (I have not tried the partial freezing before slicing that may help) I have been hand slicing my jerky meat for years now, I do have the manual jerky slicer and the big brother one for the Cabelas grinder.

Other than the color, the tear if you were rip a piece, is very much like the pork I made the other week and the beef I make. Flavors are a bit different, as CB has little flavor. so you get what you season it with. it is still chewy and much like any other jerky to me. The very thin tails of the slice get hard, have had them poke through my sealer bags already.

I have not done them for a while, the last girlfriend liked when i did chicken tenders or tenderloins. I would cut the white tendon out of them and then marinade them in a teriyaki with some other spices, and cure. Let them go for 2 to 3 days then dry them, I had never smoked them just in the dehydrator, they would come out with a nice dry outside and a soft slightly moist inside.

My next round of cow or pig I think I am going to try the partial freeze and use the 10" Berkel slicer I bought last year. That will help to cut down how much I  keep hearing from the current girlfriend, why did you buy that if you don't use it it is in the way.
  • #6 by Bentley on 30 Aug 2019
  • I have never done it, but chicken being such a neutral meat for me, I would think that it would be the perfect candidate to be ground, spices added, mixed into a paste and then made into snack sticks!  I would think it would be like tofu and take on what ever flavors were added to it!
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 30 Aug 2019
  • Yes pretty much, the jerky you get the smoke first and has you chew it you get the black pepper, salt and garlic.

I may have to try the stick thing.
Pages:
Actions