Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 30 Aug 2019

•  As things seem to be a little slow, I thought I would add what I deem, some useful information:

Every one has one. An oven with a glass door that develops a hard to remove baked-on mess that isn't pleasant to look at and hard to remove... I have tried many methods to remove the mess. Scraping'

carefully using a razor blade scraper. Many of the liquid cleaners, with an orange citrus being the best, still not good.  Scrubbing and scraping with different cleaners. Ceramic glass cleaners for fireplaces and

a few more. All were labour intensive ended with marginal results at best..Finally I tried plain old baking soda in a paste form(mix with water)and apply it to the door. Leave the door open with the damp

mixture on it for a good hour, longer if dirty. Don't let it dry out. Either lightly spritz with water or cover with a damp towel. When ready, wipe up the mixture with all the dissolved mess in, it or if it is really

bad, a light scrub does it..I found it hard to believe how well the baking soda worked. It was the best of any of any of the methods I have tried and with the least amount of effort.
  • #2 by ICIdaho on 30 Aug 2019
  • We have self cleaning ovens that just burned it off.  Makes me very nervous though.  That thing and everything around it gets too hot for my comfort....but the glass comes clean.
  • #3 by pmillen on 30 Aug 2019
  • I have that mess, too.  Thanks for the tip.

My mother knew about this kind of cleaning using household components.  She used to take the grease off of her aluminum pans with cream of tartar.  I think it's a the acid component in baking powder.

Baking  powder is, for the most part, a combination of baking soda (that you used) and an acid. The soda and acid interact in the presence of water to create carbon dioxide gas bubbles in dough or batter.
  • #4 by hughver on 30 Aug 2019
  • Good suggestion, I'll give it a try on my next oven clean. I've always had good luck with fireplace glass cleaner.
Pages:
Actions