Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 01 Sep 2019

•  Came across news that there will be a new player in the pellet cooker game. It's," Pellet Joe " of Kamado Joe fame. Will it fare better than the Black Olive?  Time will tell.
  • #2 by pmillen on 01 Sep 2019
  • Where did you read that?  I'd like more info.
  • #3 by pmillen on 01 Sep 2019
  • I have a Kamado Joe, Big Joe.  Like all ceramic kamados, once the heavy ceramic is at temperature, it's extremely efficient.  As a result, it may not burn many pellets.  That may reduce the smoke taste and it might even create a problem with flame-outs if the controller drops very few pellets in an attempt to stay at the set temperature.

EDIT:  Neither the Black Olive nor the Icon seemed to be highly regarded by either pellet grill or kamado owners.
  • #4 by pmillen on 01 Sep 2019
  • I guess that it could be sold as a wood-fired grill and not be intended for smoking.  That would explain the simple controller.
  • #5 by okie smokie on 01 Sep 2019
  • Is there a pic of Pellet Joe?  Can't seem to find one, even on their website.
  • #6 by Bentley on 01 Sep 2019
  • Not sure why these would fail.  It seems they are extremely insulated, so fuel consumption will be at a minimum.  With that insulation I would think it would be easier to manage temperature control.  So you either have a prospective owner that does not like the taste of wood pellets, and he like to play with the fuel that will go in to the unit.  Or you have a person that is not used to cooking on a round grill and is bothered by the lack of surface area.
  • #7 by GREG-B on 01 Sep 2019
  • #8 by GREG-B on 01 Sep 2019
  •   Or you have a person that is not used to cooking on a round grill and is bothered by the lack of surface area.

True you could not fit a hog on one but, with 3 tiers in the pro-joe, you can cook a bunch of ribs, briskets, butts, etc.  Not knowing if it will be built on the BJ or  the PBJ, hard to tell how much room it's going to have in it.  With the pellet grill you control temp with a controller but on a Kamado, you control temp with vents.  Wonder how the pellet Joe would control temps?  Gotta have air to keep pellets goin but then how do you do low and slow without snuffing out yer pellets? :2cents:
  • #9 by pmillen on 01 Sep 2019
  • Yeah, I don't think it's a smoker.  I think it's a grill.  When I grill on my Kamado Joe, it takes a lot of fuel to heat the ceramic shell, but once it's hot it coasts along on very little fuel.  I can open it up and put cheese on 10 or 12 burgers, close the lid and it's right back at the set temperature.

As GREG wrote, when the ceramic is hot the pellets will stop dropping and you'll likely snuff out the fire.

• #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Sep 2019
  • another copy cat trying to ride the pellet grill trend
  • #11 by okie smokie on 02 Sep 2019
  • https://twitter.com/KamadoJoe/status/1168040907406331906

Try this, hope it comes through.
    Unique pellet feed (vertical?). 
    I remember when I was in the Navy and stationed in Okinawa in1964-5.  The airforce guys would bring back similar looking green eggs, from Japan and sell in a shop at Cadena Air Base.  Not as sophisticated as current models, but pretty much the same.  Cost was $35, very heavy ceramic. I was allowed to bring back 5000 lbs to the US.  So I brought it back to Dallas and it sat on my apartment porch for a year or so until I moved.  A little charcoal went a long way with it and I did lots of cooks on it. Nobody had seen these stateside in my area (Dallas) so it got lots of attention.  Had a water pot between the fire and the grills for slow cooking. 
    I left it with the apartment.  I would not be able make myself pay what they cost today. My main complaint was the weight of the lid, that would be my c/o today--but it worked great.  I'll bet the pellet version is a great success--if it works well.  :2cents:
  • #12 by rdsbucks on 02 Sep 2019
  • I think depending on the price that is looks like a winner. But I'd give it a few years and see how they adjust it in the later editions.
  • #13 by hughver on 02 Sep 2019
  • I don't know anything about this grill but it appears to be a BGE style pellet grill. http://blackolivegrill.com/products/pellet-grill-l/ or this video. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/the-black-olive.88637/ Looks interesting.
  • #14 by pmillen on 03 Sep 2019
  • I don't know anything about this grill but it appears to be a BGE style pellet grill. http://blackolivegrill.com/products/pellet-grill-l/ or this video. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/the-black-olive.88637/ Looks interesting.

Neither the Black Olive nor the Icon sold well.  The Icon may be out of production.
  • #15 by okie smokie on 03 Sep 2019
  • The Black Olive is said to be no longer available. Too expensive; prone to grease fires; no drip tray and fat collection--it just hits the fire pot, the fan blows the ash up into the cooking area.  That's what I gleaned from info on the web. Hopefully, these problems worked out on the new one.  Will see.
Pages:
Actions