Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by yorkdude on 01 Sep 2019
  • Got the extra racks and decided to load it up. Sounds crazy but I think it helps with more stable temps. Was raining so after the episode last weekend I used the umbrella. 1 load in and 1 to go.

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Sep 2019
  • How many pounds of raw meat fit on those 8 racks?
  • #3 by yorkdude on 01 Sep 2019
  • How many pounds of raw meat fit on those 8 racks?
    I estimate about 2.5 #’s. I tend to slice it thicker than most always but (3/8”) this go. I also seasoned the meat and then vac sealed it for the week, due to problems last week. We ended up with 7.1# finished. Started with about 16.5#.
    I have also learned to just “kind of live with the swings”, bugs me but only because it settles in too low temp wise and then just lays the smoke to it catching up. Nothing worse then a smoke belly. It has not done that but I tend to watch it much more closely than the other ones. Just me I guess.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Sep 2019
  • 2.5# on 8 racks seems very low.  I would think you could get at least 1#-1.5# per rack.  The yield is really good though.  I usually end up with about 1/3 of the raw packaged meat left after trimming, smoking, dehydrating.  You got about 10% more than me.
  • #5 by yorkdude on 01 Sep 2019
  • 2.5# on 8 racks seems very low.  I would think you could get at least 1#-1.5# per rack.  The yield is really good though.  I usually end up with about 1/3 of the raw packaged meat left after trimming, smoking, dehydrating.  You got about 10% more than me.

Holy smokes, I see what I did here, the starting weight was as I said as well as the final weight. I did half of it last weekend and used the vertical as well as the GMG’s, yesterday we finished it up on the the vertical. 2 loads yesterday. Sorry about that.
    EDIT. I also forgot to add that I based 2.5# on the times we only had 4 racks. Double it for 8. Notice the shinier rack supports.
    Last weekend about 6 #’s between the vertical (with 4 racks) and probably 2#’s each on the GMG’s. Yesterday the balance of about 10#’s on 2 cooks.
    I have told clearer stories drinking. For this one though no alcohol was harmed, sorry for the confusion.
Pages:
Actions