Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by West Allis BBQ Man on 14 Sep 2017
  • I have been reading and watching videos on the hot and fast method of cooking brisket.  Last night I did two for my last day at my current job.  One was a silent auction winner and the other we are going to eat at noon as my final BBQ for IT.  I started them out at 180 for 6 hours and then 250 for 6.  With an hour left at 250 they were both ready for the pan.  Then I jumped the temp to 300.  Total cook time, about 13 hours. 

Thoughts about just cooking it at 180 for 2 hours then 300 until done.  No wrap. 
  • #2 by Queball on 14 Sep 2017
  • Doesn't Mixon do them in about 4hours and then FTC them for 4 hours? For "hot and fast" yours seems like a very long cook.
    • Queball
  • #3 by West Allis BBQ Man on 14 Sep 2017
  • I thinking about doing my next brisket hot and fast.  These two were the low and slow method...

• #4 by Queball on 14 Sep 2017
  • Oooops! ...... I did a packer about 3 weeks ago just as you described. ..... 2 hours smoke and then up the heat, no pan or foil. ..... Was fine!
    • Queball
  • #5 by Bentley on 14 Sep 2017
  • I do not think there is a great difference in quality between hot and slow.  But, having said that, the only time I cook either outside of a Competition is for family or a gathering, and they can usually be done well in advance.  Then I will usually just put it on the night before when I go to bed at 200°, wake up, turn pit to 350° and finish with pan, liquid and foil!  If I just want them done same day, usually 6 hours at 350° will do it with no loss in quality!. 
  • #6 by Free Mr. Tony on 14 Sep 2017
  • The last several I've done I cook straight through at 275, which is probably 290 to 300 at the grate level. You get a nice crust that softens considerably during the rest. I wish I hadn't messed around with all the wrapping when I started cooking them a long time ago. It's easier, and I like it better.
  • #7 by pz on 14 Sep 2017
  • I'd like to try hot and fast. Although low and slow has worked for me, the lure of having the beef done in six hours is too tempting to resist, especially when inviting friends over.

So, no wrapping with liquid or anything? Just go to I.T. and let it rest?
  • #8 by Free Mr. Tony on 14 Sep 2017
  • I'd like to try hot and fast. Although low and slow has worked for me, the lure of having the beef done in six hours is too tempting to resist, especially when inviting friends over.

So, no wrapping with liquid or anything? Just go to I.T. and let it rest?

The ones I've done I just go straight through until it probes tender. For years, I was so worried about overcooking that I think I was slightly undercooking most of them. Ive had about four really good ones in a row, which is a record for me. I've been cooking them slightly longer than I used to. Probe tender, sit out for 20 minutes,  then wrap in foil or paper. When the IT is down to 150 or so, I slice into to see how it looks. 
  • #9 by Bentley on 14 Sep 2017
  • I still pan, liquid and foil when the bark starts to get nasty, usually about 4 hours.  But I want the brisket Jello too!
  • #10 by pz on 14 Sep 2017
  • Thanks gents - I'm looking forward to my next cook!  ;)
  • #11 by Richdel on 14 Sep 2017
  • So, I have been avoiding doing briskets because I don't want the pit on while I sleep.  Cue the game-changer.  Hot and Fast!!!! :o

So, 275F on the pit until the probe/instaread therm gets to 198-200.  Then an hour or so of rest.  Is this correct?  And the total amount of time is ~6-7 hours.

If the answer is yes, brisket is on the menu this coming football Sunday!

Eagerly awaiting your responses..... :clap:
  • #12 by Free Mr. Tony on 14 Sep 2017
  • So, I have been avoiding doing briskets because I don't want the pit on while I sleep.  Cue the game-changer.  Hot and Fast!!!! :o

So, 275F on the pit until the probe/instaread therm gets to 198-200.  Then an hour or so of rest.  Is this correct?  And the total amount of time is ~6-7 hours.

If the answer is yes, brisket is on the menu this coming football Sunday!

Eagerly awaiting your responses..... :clap:

I try to resist looking at temp, and just use the thermapen to feel it without looking. Just seem to get it right more that way.  I do peek occasionally and if you are cooking hotter its normally upwards of 210 internal when it's probing right. Time depends on how big your brisket is, but you are probably in the ballpark. I did a little 10 pounder a couple weeks ago, and it was done in about 5 hours.
  • #13 by Richdel on 14 Sep 2017
  • I assume when you say you use the thermapen to feel it without looking, you are using a probe inserted in the brisket that reads remotely?
    And what temp are you going for, 195 or 198, or 200 or ...., or just the feel of the probe going into the meat like a hot knife through butter?

not sure I will find anything bigger than a 7-10# flat if I go to Costco or Bj's.  I will need to go to RD for something bigger.  But a 10# brisket in 5 hours
    sounds like a winner.  Did you foil/foilpan at 160, or leave it naked until the end.  Sorry for the questions.  Haven't done many briskets.
  • #14 by Bentley on 14 Sep 2017
  • Like FMT said, maybe a small one....But I do not see many Briskets being done at 6 hours at 275°! There is no magic IT when a brisket is done, it will be in the ballpark when it gets around 200°...But you need to get away from thinking it is done and needs to be rested at X Internal Temperature.
  • #15 by Free Mr. Tony on 14 Sep 2017
  • I don't bother measuring grate temp much anymore. I'm guessing that 5 hour one was closer to 300 at the grate, and it was also in a convection cabinet that seems to cook everything way faster.

I did one in the pellet cooker about a month ago. Forget the size but fairly small. Pretty sure that one was about 7 hours with the set temp at 275. Again, probably closer to 300 on the grate.
Pages:
Actions