Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint Rant  (Read 360 times)

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Paint Rant
« on: September 13, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »

A while back I posted pictures of my homemade pellet grill that was painted with Rustoleum High Heat Ultra Enamel.  This stuff is terrible.  I painted the door of the grill with the stuff and it peeled off like cellophane.  The door was grease free after being washed with acetone prior to painting.  I found some documentation online that said the surface needed to be "scarified" prior to painting.  After removing the first coat, I scarified by powering sanding the surface with 80 grit.  The paint stuck.

My grill has been outside all summer and now late summer dew is coming in the morning.  The grill started rusting through the paint.  Ugh!  This stuff seems to be good for beautifying a previously painting grill but offers  little rust protection.

I just disassembled the grill and painted with regular professional Rustoleum primer and paint.  Temperature issues shouldn't be a problem since the grill is insulated.  I have used gallons of this stuff on metal fences and never has a problem with it.  Stay tuned and we'll see how it holds up over the winter.  The grill is going into the garage for a while until I can make a cover for it.         
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 04:44:42 PM by JoeGrilling »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Paint Rant
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 08:56:20 PM »

Once I started painting mine, it seemed like 12 months was about as long as it would go before the spots would start showing up! No matter how much prep was done.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 12:16:25 AM »

Next time you might want to try POR (I think it stands for Paint Over Rust) brake caliper paint.  It's enamel, dries in an hour and withstands heat to 500°.

Other caliper paints might work, but check their heat tolerances.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 12:20:11 PM »

I have always meant to try the engine block paint, it is supposed to go to 800°.  What I have never understood is why an engine block would be painted?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 05:29:15 PM »

I have always meant to try the engine block paint, it is supposed to go to 800°.  What I have never understood is why an engine block would be painted?

I always painted them after I rebuilt them.  It looks better to the customer and I loved the smell of the paint during the first few starts.  Smelled like money in my pocket.  Unless it was in my race car.  Then it was spring is coming and let the fun begin.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 07:12:33 PM »

Ever scene they removed lead form paint its not worth a    . Dont even get me started.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:05:17 PM by Bentley »
Pages: [1]   Go Up