Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Sep 2019
  • I bought a brisket flat last week at Sam's and didn't get around to cooking it over the weekend as originally intended.  Last night, I trimmed the fat, applied rub, and throw on the Memphis set to 200° and smoked it overnight for about 12-13 hours.  It was 170°-175° in different parts when I checked it this morning.  I turned the grill up to 250° at that point.  After about an hour it was in the low 190° range.  I then wrapped it in butchers paper (my first time using it).  After 60-90 minutes, the temps were in the high 190° range and the probe went in like butter in multiple places.  I took it off the smoker, wrapped foiled over top of the butchers paper, and threw in a cooler.  Gonna let it set in there for about two hours before I slice it up to have a sandwich for lunch.  Will take a few pictures of it then.  Have never cooked a brisket this way so I am interested to see how it turns out.
  • #2 by Bentley on 18 Sep 2019
  • Looking forward to the pictures.  I dont remember the last time I cooked a brisket.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Sep 2019
  • I would give it a B on the taste and tenderness which I am fine with considering I don't inject before smoking, and I didn't really do much to make this one.  I probably should have sliced from the other side as the top as it looks like there was part of the point left that crumbled as I sliced on the left side.  It has been a few years since I last made a brisket.

• #4 by yorkdude on 18 Sep 2019
  • That looks really good, nicely done.
  • #5 by GREG-B on 18 Sep 2019
  • I'm battin about 200 with briskets.  I'd never make it in the MLB with those stats, but when they come out good, they're really good.  That looks pretty good.
  • #6 by hughver on 18 Sep 2019
  • Looks good but how was the moisture content using this method?
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 18 Sep 2019
  • That looks good.

Have not done one in years as I am the only one that will eat it. So a big brisket is not something i cook for myself.
  • #8 by Clonesmoker on 18 Sep 2019
  • 200 for 12-13 hours seems like a long time for just a flat. JMO.  I'm looking to do two 14-16 lbs full packers for tailgating this weekend. Will start at 150 for an hour. Go to 180 for 3 hours, 200 for 3 hours, 225 for 3 hours and then finish them at 250 however long it takes to get them to 200. Will then foil and put in cooler.  Do people turn there briskets over during cooks? Seems I've had better luck doing this as they tend to cut easier as if you don't the bottom seems to get overdone and tough to cut.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Sep 2019
  • It was about an 8# flat and I know the Memphis stays right on temp so the time was what it was.  It probably could have been done faster had I started early in the morning and babysat it and wrapped earlier and cranked up temp earlier.

The moisture was OK for not injecting which I don't think I have ever done with a brisket.  Probably could have been better had I did the butcher paper earlier.

Like most things, I look for the easiest cooking method with the least amount of involvement.  This method achieved that.
  • #10 by bregent on 18 Sep 2019
  • Lew, what temp did you start probing for tenderness. When I've made briskets starting out that low on the Memphis, they always finish in the low 190's. I think my last one was 192.
  • #11 by dk117 on 18 Sep 2019
  • I'm battin about 200 with briskets.  I'd never make it in the MLB with those stats, but when they come out good, they're really good.  That looks pretty good.
    + 1, I've got about two dozen briskets under my belt.   Batting average about .208.   But those 5 were home runs and worth the others.   Big leagues would only be .300 so we're not that far off.

DK

PS I'm talking packers, a flat, those are near impossible to get perfect by themselves as I prefer the fatty point. 
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Sep 2019
  • Lew, what temp did you start probing for tenderness. When I've made briskets starting out that low on the Memphis, they always finish in the low 190's. I think my last one was 192.

I didn't have a probe in it monitoring temp.  I checked it when I woke up and it was already on for 12-13 hours.  It wasn't really soft when it was in the low 190s but the hour or so in the butcher paper finished it off.
  • #13 by ZCZ on 19 Sep 2019
  • Looks really good and reminds me I need to do a brisket flat myself.  It has been a long, long time.  Would only do a flat as a whole packer is WAAAAAY too much for Mrs. & I.

Al
  • #14 by Bentley on 19 Sep 2019
  • Do you ever make BBQ Beef sandwiches out of it?
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Sep 2019
  • Do you ever make BBQ Beef sandwiches out of it?

Chopped?
Pages:
Actions