Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 08 Apr 2018
  • For those of us without a proper test lab there are two ways to check the accuracy of our cooking thermometers.

1/: Boiling Water.   2/: Ice Bath.

* Boiling water has two main drawbacks that change the boiling point of water; atmospheric pressure and elevation.

*Ice bath on the other hand is consistent (if done properly).

Ideally checking at two points makes one feel more confident . That's how Thermapens are tested and calibrated.

For comprehnsive test methods, "Thermoworks" is the place to go. For the boiling point of water; click" software" @ the top. Scroll down to "boiling point calculator". Fill in your zip for elevation and atmospheric pressure, then click calculate - simple. Just take elevation with a grain of salt as it is @ the weather station.. If you have a GPS, its reading will prove more accurate.

Under "service and support @ the top, go to the column on the left, select " super fast Thermapen 101, click "creating a properly made ice bath", or type the words into the search box.

Disclaimer: The only association I have with Thermoworks is customer related.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Apr 2018
  • I bought one of those ice bath containers from Thermoworks a few years ago when it was on sale.  Great thread as I have found that  often times the probes that come with grills are not accurate.
Pages:
Actions