Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beyond Meat  (Read 995 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Beyond Meat
« on: September 23, 2019, 10:42:48 AM »

This seems to be catching on big time. Yes I have tried it, @ A+W. Was it good? Yes. Better than beef? No.. A close look at all the "processed" ingredients has turned me off..Will this fad last??

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Beyond Meat
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 10:55:32 AM »

I am amazed that people will pay a premium for "organic" food.  If they can get the price point down for the average guy, I am not talking Cheap Screw pricing for guys like me, but Average Joe, I think it might catch on.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »

I think I would try it just to say I did, however at least at this point, I don't see it replacing ground beef for us.
And the ones I have seen (uncooked, not in restaurants) are real pricey, another reason to forego it.
I still also can remember eating a veggie burger and that was awful, it was a long time ago but Yuck!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »

The Impossible Burger at Burger King was better then the patties we cooked of the Beyond Meat. 

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »

I thought the beef industry sued and won a case where they could not use the term "meat" in their labeling.  Is "meatier" not considered the same terminology as "meat"?  Saw this in a meat case at Safeway a while back.  My first experience with a veggie burger was with a college buddy of mine at some eatery in Oregon.  I was eating it and exclaimed probably louder than necessary "man I feel so much more healthy now".  I'm sure some sort of alcohol was involved.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 07:24:46 PM »

RethinnkX is an independent think tank that analyzes and forecasts the scope, speed, and scale of technology-driven disruption and its implications across society.  Their recent report, Rethinking Food and Agriculture 2020-2030‚ The Second Domestication of Plants and Animals, the Disruption of the Cow, and the Collapse of Industrial Livestock Farming, forecasts that by 2030 the dairy and cattle industries will have collapsed as animal-derived foods are replaced by modern equivalents that are higher quality and cost less than half as much to produce. 

They opine that the industrial livestock industry is one of the oldest, largest, and most inefficient food-production systems in the world.  By 2023 or 25, precision fermentation (PF), a process that enables the programming of micro-organisms to produce almost any complex organic molecule, will be efficient enough to produce proteins at 20% of today’s costs of traditional animal proteins. 

RethinnkX projects that PF production systems have the potential to spur fast development and improvement of products that are ever cheaper and superior, more nutritious, healthier, better tasting, more convenient, and more varied.  Competitors are expected to evolve to drive end-user prices down.  The cost to produce modern foods and products are expected to be at least 50% and as much as 80% lower than the animal products they replace, which will translate into substantially lower prices.

So…there you have it.  No more leather.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

dk117

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 07:40:16 PM »

I think they underestimate the stubbornness of the average male.   You can make a perfect robot car.  I prefer to drive myself, I actually enjoy it.  Maybe someday they can make bacon and brisket out of kale.  I prefer to eat the real thing.   I'm "only" 45 guys.  This transition isn't going to fully happen with guys like me around.  Certainly not in the next two decades. 

DK

PS the middle ground might look something more like recreational vehicles.  If I choose to drive my own vehicle where the entire network is self driving, then I'll pay a premium and probably have to get a more stringent license and pay an exorbitant insurance like a classic car.  Regular beef would become a delicacy with exorbitant prices.   I don't see myself changing. I don't think I'm in a tiny minority.   
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

dk117

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 07:43:00 PM »

and yes we need to be pretty darn clear on what we are talking about, and what we are consuming.

Meat is animal flesh that is eaten as food. Humans have hunted and killed animals for meat since prehistoric times. The advent of civilization allowed the domestication of animals such as chickens, sheep, rabbits, pigs and cattle. Wikipedia

There is no beyond meat, it's not meat  (I mean that in the most polite sense, but it's just a definition).  It's still hung up in the courts as far as I've read.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

yorkdude

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 07:52:42 PM »

RethinnkX is an independent think tank that analyzes and forecasts the scope, speed, and scale of technology-driven disruption and its implications across society.  Their recent report, Rethinking Food and Agriculture 2020-2030‚ The Second Domestication of Plants and Animals, the Disruption of the Cow, and the Collapse of Industrial Livestock Farming, forecasts that by 2030 the dairy and cattle industries will have collapsed as animal-derived foods are replaced by modern equivalents that are higher quality and cost less than half as much to produce. 

They opine that the industrial livestock industry is one of the oldest, largest, and most inefficient food-production systems in the world.  By 2023 or 25, precision fermentation (PF), a process that enables the programming of micro-organisms to produce almost any complex organic molecule, will be efficient enough to produce proteins at 20% of today’s costs of traditional animal proteins. 

RethinnkX projects that PF production systems have the potential to spur fast development and improvement of products that are ever cheaper and superior, more nutritious, healthier, better tasting, more convenient, and more varied.  Competitors are expected to evolve to drive end-user prices down.  The cost to produce modern foods and products are expected to be at least 50% and as much as 80% lower than the animal products they replace, which will translate into substantially lower prices.

So…there you have it.  No more leather.
Does that mean we will see, beyond belts-beyond billfolds & beyond boots. Next it’ll be beyond buns for the burgers. Somehow this sounds worse than the occasional E-coli outbreak. I am too old school for stuff like this. Time will tell I presume.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 08:07:42 PM »

and yes we need to be pretty darn clear on what we are talking about, and what we are consuming.

Meat is animal flesh that is eaten as food. Humans have hunted and killed animals for meat since prehistoric times. The advent of civilization allowed the domestication of animals such as chickens, sheep, rabbits, pigs and cattle. Wikipedia

There is no beyond meat, it's not meat  (I mean that in the most polite sense, but it's just a definition).  It's still hung up in the courts as far as I've read.

IDK, the flesh of many fruits and vegetables has been called meat for many years.  I wonder how the OED defines it. 

The dairy industry has to accept the various animal milk substitutes; almond milk, cocoanut coconut milk...

If I were on the jury I'd tell the animal processing industry to pound sand.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:11:19 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 09:03:28 PM »

It is why I ate so many twinkies and ho-hos as a college kid.  I have no hope of living to see Star Trek meal replicators. :pig:

Interesting concept though -- cheaper food, do we see decreases or increases in population?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 01:49:57 PM »

Make it taste (I will even take very close) as good as, make it healthier, and sell it to me for half the cost now and I am in.  I have been told the dairy industry is way down due to younger folks simply not drinking it and moms dont care.

I cant see ever replacing a tri-tip or rib-eye with processed, but who knows.  What I can see happening is this plant based does become popular and forces beef into a niche market where hamburger is $25/lb and a steak is $100...Then my beef days really are over.

yorkdude

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 01:57:32 PM »

Curious how much one of these burgers cost at a fast food joint.
Googling the bulk or the patties of them they are between 25 & 28 dollars a pound, they have to be more expensive than traditional I would think based on that.
I can only find the burger listed at BK but no price.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 02:46:58 PM »

The BK Impossible burger was like $5.79 and the combo meal about $8+ here in Mayberry!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 02:48:12 PM »

At our local BK, the Impossible Burger/Whopper is a dollar more than the original Whopper.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up