Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beyond Meat  (Read 994 times)

MysticRhythms

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Beyond Meat
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 10:48:31 PM »

What I can see happening is this plant based does become popular and forces beef into a niche market where hamburger is $25/lb and a steak is $100...Then my beef days really are over.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Apparently even the manufacturers are saying that this stuff shouldn't be eaten every day, not good for your body to over do it.
They are suggesting once or twice a week.
Of course future products may be another story.
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 05:56:32 PM »

Been researching the livestock production and alternative meat industries.  Some interesting “Finds”—
  • Ground beef makes up 60 percent of beef sales.
  • Beef is the most wasteful food on the planet.  It takes 36,000 calories of feed to produce 1,000 calories of beef.  In the process, it uses more than 430 gallons of water and 1,500 square feet of land, and it generates nearly ten kilograms of greenhouse-gas emissions.
  • In comparison, Impossible Burger, one alt-meat producer, uses 87 percent less water, 96 percent less land, and produces 89 percent fewer greenhouse-gas emissions.
  • Alt-meat has the same amount of protein as ground beef (about 20 grams per quarter-pound serving) and less fat.
  • National alt-meat purveyors:  Carl’s Jr., A&W, Del Taco, Food Lion supermarket, Safeway, White Castle and Burger King (the second-largest fast-food chain in the world).
  • Beyond Meat’s products are in 15,000 grocery stores in the U.S.  On May 2, it held its IPO, offering stock at $25, which turned out to be a wild underestimation of what investors thought the company was worth.  It immediately leaped to $46 and closed the day at $65.75.
  • The two leading alt-meat producers have different approaches.  Beyond Meat uses pea protein, while Impossible Foods uses soy.  Beyond gets its bloody color from beet juice; Impossible uses heme‚ the same molecule that makes our blood red‚ to achieve its meaty color and flavor.
  • Focus group taste tests show that the Impossible Burger is incredible, the Beyond Burger is okay.
  • Recent news—Whole Foods just announced it will start selling burgers from the UK-based startup the Meatless Farm in all of its stores.  Nestle is launching its Awesome Burger this fall.  Tyson Foods, America’s largest meat producer, just debuted its own plant-based nuggets, with more products to come.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 08:22:26 PM »

And there right, the Impossible burger was much better then the beyond meat patty we had.  I see McDonalds just agreed to try the Beyond Meat PLT in Southern Ontario markets.  Good luck, you better contact Impossible if you want sales!

• Focus group taste tests show that the Impossible Burger is incredible, the Beyond Burger is okay.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 09:41:47 AM »

Been researching the livestock production and alternative meat industries.  Some interesting “Finds”—
  • Ground beef makes up 60 percent of beef sales.
  • Beef is the most wasteful food on the planet.  It takes 36,000 calories of feed to produce 1,000 calories of beef.  In the process, it uses more than 430 gallons of water and 1,500 square feet of land, and it generates nearly ten kilograms of greenhouse-gas emissions.
  • In comparison, Impossible Burger, one alt-meat producer, uses 87 percent less water, 96 percent less land, and produces 89 percent fewer greenhouse-gas emissions.
  • Alt-meat has the same amount of protein as ground beef (about 20 grams per quarter-pound serving) and less fat.
  • National alt-meat purveyors:  Carl’s Jr., A&W, Del Taco, Food Lion supermarket, Safeway, White Castle and Burger King (the second-largest fast-food chain in the world).
  • Beyond Meat’s products are in 15,000 grocery stores in the U.S.  On May 2, it held its IPO, offering stock at $25, which turned out to be a wild underestimation of what investors thought the company was worth.  It immediately leaped to $46 and closed the day at $65.75.

• The two leading alt-meat producers have different approaches.  Beyond Meat uses pea protein, while Impossible Foods uses soy.  Beyond gets its bloody color from beet juice; Impossible uses heme‚ the same molecule that makes our blood red‚ to achieve its meaty color and flavor.
  • Recent news—Whole Foods just announced it will start selling burgers from the UK-based startup the Meatless Farm in all of its stores.  Nestle is launching its Awesome Burger this fall.  Tyson Foods, America’s largest meat producer, just debuted its own plant-based nuggets, with more products to come.

Thanks Paul for the detailed research..Times are a changing.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:47:27 PM by Bentley »

tewharaunz

• Using less gas.
  • Charteris Bay, NZ
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 04:07:01 PM »

Hmmm, not the way I thought this discussion would go....

My 2 cents:
I regularly cook vege sausages, alt-meat patties, and pulled jackfruit, but they’re not for me. They just make it easier for me to cook the way I want (smoke/grill) and cater for people who don’t eat meat.

Also don’t forget that that fungus-based mycoproteins, lab-cultured tissue, and insect-based proteins are next.
Traeger Pro 22 Traeger Lil Tex w/ GMG Pizza oven insert GMG Davy Crocket

Canadian John

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 09:57:59 AM »

And to add: The new Government of Canada Food guide is leaning heavily from less red meat and dairy to more veg, poultry and fish.. My take is environmental impact. See pmillens post above.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2019, 12:18:15 PM »

I would think if it became a big market it would be great for farmers.  Not sure if I posted it on here, maybe when we did the Beyond Meat thread.  That some farmers in Eastern Washington had switched from wheat to chickpea, as hummus has become so popular.  And i found out that India grows more chick peas then the rest of the world combined!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 12:20:56 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 09:56:49 AM »

This is all well and good.
But if you come over here for dinner, plan on me digging out the ribeyes & strip steaks.
& yes we can have some smashed veggies (potatoes).
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Canadian John

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2019, 10:16:45 AM »

This is all well and good.
But if you come over here for dinner, plan on me digging out the ribeyes & strip steaks.
& yes we can have some smashed veggies (potatoes).
I am on the way Troop'

KeithG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2019, 10:29:09 AM »

I enjoy veggie burgers that actually taste like veggies. We get some spicy black bean burgers that we have on a regular basis. I have no interest in trying a burger made from vegetables that is made to taste like meat. I can’t imagine a world without cows. That would mean most cheeses would be gone. No more ice cream and gelato! And that’s on top of no beef burgers, stakes, roasts, stews. That’s not a world I would want to live in. Luckily, I doubt I am still around in 2030.
RecTec RT-680, WSM 18, MES30, Weber Genesis

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2019, 11:49:02 AM »

I am amazed that people will pay a premium for "organic" food.  If they can get the price point down for the average guy, I am not talking Cheap Screw pricing for guys like me, but Average Joe, I think it might catch on.
I have come to the conclusion that the term "organic" when placed on food, means "double the price" for no good reason. In particular, I find much of the organic stuff is not as good as--.  Also, I would rather have man made fertilizers and such used than processed fertilizer if that is the case.  :2cents:

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 02:37:30 PM »

From what I have read, they are loaded with sodium...   and/or not actually any healthier than beef.      But then, if saving the environment is what your after , maybe worth it???
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up