Here's How I.... > Cook Fish and Seafood

Twice smoked salmon salad and cheddar open face sandwiches

<< < (2/2)

ofelles:
That goes on my must do list.  Thanks.

Bentley:
May not matter to you or you may not like the technique.  If you brine the salmon, even for as little as 20 minutes in a 6% solution, it should keep the fat from purging form the meat.  I dont eat salmon, but I am gonna assume it is just like beef and fat is flavor in the meat.

--- Quote from: MikeMcQ on October 01, 2019, 02:07:08 AM ---

--- End quote ---

jdmessner:

--- Quote from: Bentley on October 13, 2019, 04:36:32 PM ---My not matter to you or you may not like the technique.  If you brine the salmon, even for as little as 20 minutes in a 6% solution, it should keep the fat from purging form the meat.  I dont eat salmon, but I am gonna assume it is just like beef and fat is flavor in the meat.

--- Quote from: MikeMcQ on October 01, 2019, 02:07:08 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Great tip! Just my luck I read it 15 min. AFTER I put the salmon on the grill!! :-[ This is just a test batch will try a brine next time.

jdmessner:
The open face sandwiches turned out great. It is going on the holiday menu. However, I will try the brine for my next trial run.

I did learn a couple of things along the way. The first thing was that hot dog buns don't work to well. S :-[omething a little more substantial is needed.

The second thing was that after 28+ years of marriage, I discovered my wife does not like cheddar cheese! Since I don't eat cheese much any more, I asked her if we had any cheddar to top the sandwich off with. She informed me that the only reason she ever bought cheddar was because I liked it. I was quite surprised, but also touched that she would do that for me. However, when I think of all the things I've made for her through the years, I wouldn't have been offended if she had mentioned it earlier!!

MikeMcQ:

--- Quote from: jdmessner on October 17, 2019, 05:01:39 PM ---I did learn a couple of things along the way. The first thing was that hot dog buns don't work to well. S :-[omething a little more substantial is needed.

--- End quote ---
My post I noted sourdough hoagies. Both for the more substantial base but also part of the flavor profile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View