Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooking Fuel Ratings  (Read 559 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Cooking Fuel Ratings
« on: October 03, 2019, 09:03:14 AM »

This is how I perceive the effect different heat sources have on the taste of food. Texture can also be influenced to a degree.

From the top down. The top being the best.

WOOD

LUMP CHARCOAL*

CHARCOAL BRIQUETS*

GAS either NG or PROPANE*

ELECTRICITY*

* May be enhanced using wood: chunks or chips... Used outdoors exclusively.

When cooking inside, I find that a gas oven wins over electric. Gas has less tendency to dry things out.

Does this align with your experiences?

MikeMcQ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Cooking Fuel Ratings
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 02:28:02 PM »

I believe some bakers prefer electric for bread for a crisper crust.
Pellet Head since mid 90s with US Traegers (Dlx then Lil' Tex both gone) | Memphis Pro 304 Cart (2019) | MAK 2 Star wifi, front shelf and cabinet doors | GMG DB w/Smoke Daddy modded for fan only cold smoking or normal op | TEC Infrared gas for high temp searing | Tappecue

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 08:28:24 PM »

It has been so long since I cooked outdoors with anything but wood I can't make an objective observation.  We have been electric oven for last 5 years...I dont know that I remember much difference between gas and electric.  Although I would prefer to broil on gas stove!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

MikeMcQ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 08:49:53 PM »

We have been electric oven for last 5 years...I dont know that I remember much difference between gas and electric.  Although I would prefer to broil on gas stove!
We've had our little 4 burner all gas Viking ~15 years. Never had an issue baking gas oven but don't bake bread hardly ever. Broiler wise don't use it often, but when I do gotta pay attention cause that puppy if FIERCE!
Pellet Head since mid 90s with US Traegers (Dlx then Lil' Tex both gone) | Memphis Pro 304 Cart (2019) | MAK 2 Star wifi, front shelf and cabinet doors | GMG DB w/Smoke Daddy modded for fan only cold smoking or normal op | TEC Infrared gas for high temp searing | Tappecue

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 11:40:39 AM »

I agree with your ratings CJ.  Nothing beats wood, and charcoal either lump or briquets comes closer.  Gas really just impacts flavor with the searing of what is being cooked.

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:47:44 PM »

We have been electric oven for last 5 years...I dont know that I remember much difference between gas and electric.  Although I would prefer to broil on gas stove!
We've had our little 4 burner all gas Viking ~15 years. Never had an issue baking gas oven but don't bake bread hardly ever. Broiler wise don't use it often, but when I do gotta pay attention cause that puppy if FIERCE!

Back in 1998 I spent a week at Viking Range in Greenwood, MS.  Quite the place.  It was October so temps weren’t too bad. I was there to train them on their new robotic press brake. At the time their “low end” outdoor gas grill started at $1,500. All stainless of course. Which is the route Memphis grills ended up going, as you well know. Two high quality units.
Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7
Pages: [1]   Go Up