Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hank D Thoreau on 05 Oct 2019
  • For all you paddlers out there, what do you prefer, a canoe or kayak and why?

I like kayaks because of the agility and responsiveness. The double bladed paddle is a real advantage when you learn how to really use it, and I am still in that never ending learning process. Canoes have an advantage when you need to carry a lot of stuff, and they are very stable when doing so, but, I would rather someone else in the group was paddling it. A lot has to do with knowledge. I preferred the canoe before I invested enough time and training to better understand the kayak. It seems that this may be a regional issue. I am planning a cross country trip from California to Lake Superior and have been looking for kayaking trips along the way. The boundary waters seem very canoe focused, while Lake Superior is world class kayaking including some serious open water paddling. Do you have any suggestions for paddling trips that I can take during my trip? Time frame will be late summer to early fall.
  • #2 by pmillen on 05 Oct 2019
  • Nebraska has more miles of river than any other state.  That's odd, since it was part of the area known as The Great American Desert.  On the streams and rivers, I prefer my kayaks over my son's canoe, but each one has an application where it excels.

I don't care to fish from either one.  For big water fishing I prefer a Deep-V boat (I always fish the windy side of the lake).  But a Bass Boat is the best casting platform and the low freeboard means that they are easier to control because they don't get blown around.  But...low freeboard in high waves makes me uncomfortable.

I'd be happy if I had four boats.  But then I'd probably choose the wrong one for my fishing trips.
  • #3 by MysticRhythms on 05 Oct 2019
  • We prefer kayaks. A little more versatile, you can use a kayak on a lake but it's tough to canoe in a raging river.
    Canoes do seem to be more stable however.
  • #4 by dk117 on 05 Oct 2019
  • gotta go with Kayak, but you bring some interesting questions.  I suppose it's all about the task at hand.

Vacation in Hawaii, Mexico, or our own locale, kayak is the best for families looking for an easy outdoor activity.   At this point I haven't been in a canoe for about 4 years.  Would have rather had a kayak that day due to items already mentioned about agility.   I might add that if you own, the mobility of the kayak and ease of storage, loading, launching might be another big win vs the canoe which would most likely take two people. 
  • #5 by Hank D Thoreau on 05 Oct 2019
  • I have not purchased my own kayak yet. As a Californian I am conflicted between what I like to paddle, ocean touring kayaks, and what is practical with the need to launch and land in the surf. Also, I do a lot of tandem kayaking with my wife, but she would be less likely to go out and practice with me. I am not too fond of the idea of capsizing in the surf while skirted in an enclosed kayak. For that, a high performance sit on top is most practical. Also, I am tall so that limits my kayak choices. I need something that is long. So, at this point, I continue to rent when I paddle. Renting is still good. I don't live next to a paddling area so I am not in a situation, yet, where I can go out and paddle after work. Maybe after I retire...which, by the way, is what the trip I am planning is for.
  • #6 by Bentley on 05 Oct 2019
  • Have been in several canoes, never been in a kayak.  I would think the kayak is much better, especially the snub nose ones of today.  In the mid 80's went down a section of the Colorado, just north of Moab, UT.  I think we put in at Hittie Bottom Boat Launch and dont really remember where we got out there were many boat ramps between it and Moab.  Nothing really tough when we were on it mid July.  Nothing over Class 3,and very little of it, but we were in tubes and there were a couple of cataracts that made it pucker a bit!
  • #7 by pmillen on 05 Oct 2019
  • I am not too fond of the idea of capsizing in the surf while skirted in an enclosed kayak. For that, a high performance sit on top is most practical. Also, I am tall so that limits my kayak choices.

I'd choose a Hobie Pro Angler if I had a need to launch and land in the surf.  The larger ones will fit you.  But they're clumsy to paddle in shallow water.
  • #8 by ZCZ on 07 Oct 2019
  • I have spent many hours in a canoe in the BWCA and the Quetico. Canoe for me. Much more stable.  But in CA I would not want to be in a canoe in the surf or in the rivers. Kayak would be the way to go.
    Z
  • #9 by Hank D Thoreau on 07 Oct 2019
  • I am not too fond of the idea of capsizing in the surf while skirted in an enclosed kayak. For that, a high performance sit on top is most practical. Also, I am tall so that limits my kayak choices.

I'd choose a Hobie Pro Angler if I had a need to launch and land in the surf.  The larger ones will fit you.  But they're clumsy to paddle in shallow water.

Those are pretty special purpose and setup primarily for fishing. I am interested in touring and would want something that has far better performance. My preference is something that has a chine soft enough to be able to edge, which probably also means thigh straps. There are a few but they are not the more common brands, outside of the paddling community. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark the site for a company that I was referred to by a paddler that uses high performance sit on tops.
  • #10 by Hank D Thoreau on 08 Oct 2019
  • By the way, I have been looking for paddles to do in the BWCA as part of my cross country trip.
  • #11 by ZCZ on 09 Oct 2019
  • If you are going to the BWCA you will also need a pair of these for the portages. They served me well on many a trip. The paddle is for sale if interested

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Z
  • #12 by silverbullet on 10 Oct 2019
  • Wife & I for the first time in our lives took a seasonal/permanent campsite @ a small campground 40 miles from home. We love it! Bought a couple of kayak's for the small 140 acre lake where motor boats are not allowed. We love the serenity it gives us & we each have our own. GKids love going out in them as well.

One thing I have noticed at the campground. Folks with kayak's use them. Folks with canoe's don't
  • #13 by MSOLSON on 14 Oct 2019
  • My daughter bought two inflatable kayaks and the grand kids love them. Not for white water use but they seem pretty durable and can be transported very easily. I personally have only used a canoe and got very tired of constantly having to move paddle back and forth to go straight. I'm much better and paddling in circles. Have fun!
  • #14 by pagesk on 21 Oct 2019
  • I have a canoe and I like using on lakes, protected waters and rivers, but it really requires a partner.  When I take my youngest child, she is more or less ballast and I can handle the calm water on my own, but I would not take her on a river or windy areas.  Many times I wish for a kayak so that I can go on my own.  I think I would go for a sea kayak, as it makes more sense for my area in western Washington.  I have used a sea kayak on a river and it was fine unless there were rapids that required the agility of a white water kayak.
Pages:
Actions