Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Beautiful Day to Smoke Cheese  (Read 1852 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Beautiful Day to Smoke Cheese
« on: October 05, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »

60° ambient temp with MAK set on smoke mode running about 170°.  Side chamber running about 85°-90°.  Here are pics of the first batch that was on about 3 hours.  Batch #2 is on now with two more racks.  Probably about 10# or so in total.  Had some friends and family that wanted some smoked cheese so rounded it all up from everyone and started smoking.  I can't wait to try the Flamin Jack from Sam's Club on the bottom - colby, monterrey jack, jalapeno, chipotle, habanero.

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Re: Beautiful Day to Smoke Cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:32:38 PM »

Looks excellent!  I don't believe I've smoked cheese since I sold my pg500 to my brother in law probably 5 years ago. I enjoyed doing it.

He has offered to sell it back several times.  If I had the room, I would do it in a second.

MikeMcQ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 03:53:11 PM »

Lookin' good!

I just put on 12x4oz PepperJack (3 2lb bricks quartered) and 12x6oz Gouda mini wheels. Cold smoking using modified GMG DB with SmokeDaddy Big Kahuna, DB fan only reduced speed. Virtually zero heat added to chamber (couple degrees over ambient which is 61f at the moment.) Pics later or it didn't happen I know!
Pellet Head since mid 90s with US Traegers (Dlx then Lil' Tex both gone) | Memphis Pro 304 Cart (2019) | MAK 2 Star wifi, front shelf and cabinet doors | GMG DB w/Smoke Daddy modded for fan only cold smoking or normal op | TEC Infrared gas for high temp searing | Tappecue

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 03:56:37 PM »

I'm trying a new technique I read online.  I wrapped it in butchers paper and put in the fridge and will vac seal tomorrow.  I believe it is supposed to help get rid of the moisture on the top of the cheese that you see in the pics.  Will probably take some time to get that smoke smell out of the fridge in the garage. ;D
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 05:29:13 PM »

Yeah, it must have warmed up a little bit outside as it was sunny and the side chamber temps went up to 100 degrees.  The softer cheeses seem to have a lower melting point.  Cheddar held up great.

MikeMcQ

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 06:21:14 PM »

Yeah, it must have warmed up a little bit outside as it was sunny and the side chamber temps went up to 100 degrees.  The softer cheeses seem to have a lower melting point.  Cheddar held up great.
When I first got my 2 Star I looked at the smoker add-on. But after some testing of the little included smoker decided for me it was best reserved as a warm smoker rather than attempting cold smoking. Since I already had the Daniel Boone with Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator and the DB modified to also run variable fan only it made sense to just keep it for cold smoking, and additional cook space if every needed. Last few years like today the DB has been used only for cold smoking. Can be 85f ambient and still keep the smoke chamber under 90f no problem.

The Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator does take a bit periodic checking to keep it smoking since I simply use pellets rather than chips which keep smoking better. But I simply take the top off and stir the smoldering pellets with a screw driver every half hour so.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 06:23:34 PM by MikeMcQ »
Pellet Head since mid 90s with US Traegers (Dlx then Lil' Tex both gone) | Memphis Pro 304 Cart (2019) | MAK 2 Star wifi, front shelf and cabinet doors | GMG DB w/Smoke Daddy modded for fan only cold smoking or normal op | TEC Infrared gas for high temp searing | Tappecue

MikeMcQ

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 02:56:47 AM »

The 12x4oz PepperJack and 12x6oz Gouda starting the cold smoke. Ambient 63f chamber never goes over 65f

Note the Daniel Boone displays OFF. However note the toggle switch below, toggles between routing fan control through normal operations OR to dimmer then to fan to reduce fan speed for cold smoking. Nothing turned on the DB other than fan for circulation.

Gouda off after 4 hours, left PepperJack on.

PepperJack off after 5 hours.

Cheeses were cool to the touch when finished, no oils driven from the cheese or melting. All vac' sealed and in the fridge.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 09:08:15 AM »

The butchers paper items and the BWW and pizza box are filled with cheese.  Going to vac seal later this morning.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 11:16:22 AM »

Ended up with over 13# of smoked cheese - pepper jack, Flamin Jack, horseradish cheddar, swiss, habanero, etc.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 12:30:49 PM »

I gotta look for that Horseradish cheddar, that would be great on some tacos!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 12:49:43 PM »

I gotta look for that Horseradish cheddar, that would be great on some tacos!

Cabot brand that I buy at Weis.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:55:20 PM by Bar-B-Lew »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 06:15:11 PM »

Horseradish cheese is still on sale at Weis here for $5/# thru tomorrow so I bought 2# today and 1.5# of the Weis brand pepper jack that was also on sale for $4/#.  Will smoke it in the next few weeks on a cool day.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »

Supposed to be a high in the upper 40s here on Saturday so there will be another cheese smoke.  Anyone need me to provide any specific instructions that I may have missed in any other cheese smoking threads.  Maybe I need to make a how to smoke cheese thread in that section if it doesn't already exist.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 01:30:27 PM »

Bingo!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 01:45:54 PM »

Supposed to be a high in the upper 40s here on Saturday so there will be another cheese smoke.  Anyone need me to provide any specific instructions that I may have missed in any other cheese smoking threads.  Maybe I need to make a how to smoke cheese thread in that section if it doesn't already exist.
Would love to try it again, we only have the GMG's and the Pit Boss vertical though and not sure how well they would do with the higher temps.
Tried it once a long time ago and not so good, then tried it with the smoke tray thing and that was an absolute bust.
Sure worth trying though on a really cold day.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up