Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Memphis

Viva le difference

(1/3) > >>

dogbreath:
My first gen pro cart has been supplemented by a built-in pro that now has a couple of cooks on it. I had to call Memphis to figure out what the metal mesh in the pellet hopper was for--I'll be filling from the front so that's a good thing to have. Changes I really like:

Best is the grease pans. Much better than the tray, even though I line my tray with foil to aid clean up. Great improvement.

The gap in the pellet ramp--lets most of the pellet dust fall through before it gets to the firebox.

The flame insert--we sous vide our steaks, but then we need a VERY hot sear at the end. 'Nuff said.

The four way grates and removable flavorizer center section--I can now vacuum the fire box without getting grate grease/char all over.

I haven't really used the wifi yet. I have Meater probes to try as well--see if they transmit through the stainless. Going to do a southwest spatchcock chicken this afternoon and will try the Meaters.

The oldie got a new firebox and flavorizer. Nice that Memphis still supports their legacy equipment--it's certainly not ready for a junk yard just because the firebox cracked (hole-to-hole cracks from repeated expansion/contraction). I had tried to have the flavorizer welded, but the welds just kept breaking. Maybe my friend just lacked some welding skill, but the new one solves the problem. The igniter attachment in the new firebox is a bit different, but I figured it out. My old grill's power bus required removing the tabs from the ends of the igniter cords as well. The new igniter seems to heat up a lot faster, but I haven't timed it.

I took pictures so I got things back together the same way they came apart. Did a deep cleaning in and all around as well. The old igniter cord had mud dauber nests circling it--seared dauber, anyone?

It was also good to talk to Greg at Memphis, a voice from the past.

Dan

Bar-B-Lew:
What is different about the grease trays than prior units.  My Elite is 7.5 years old.

MikeMcQ:
Congratulations on your built in Pro addition.  :clap:

I've only had my Pro a few weeks. I found the Wi-Fi setup pretty straight forward and seems to work well both at home and out and about.

Bentley:
I think this would be the biggest improvement that I would ask for on my Pro.  To me it would virtually eliminate grease fires, but according to glitchy, I guess not.

--- Quote from: dogbreath on October 06, 2019, 12:44:18 PM ---Best is the grease pans. Much better than the tray, even though I line my tray with foil to aid clean up. Great improvement.

--- End quote ---

Lew, the Elite always had the 2 (I think) grease slots for pans on either side.  The 1st generation Pro's had a full length tray that sat underneath everything and grease and ash went into it!

Canadian John:

Just love those Memphis pits! The only features missing are self cleaning and auto pellet replenishment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View