Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Product Review - Thermoworks Smoke and Smoke Gateway  (Read 6587 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Product Review - Thermoworks Smoke and Smoke Gateway
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:10:44 PM »

Thermoworks Smoke and Smoke Gateway (Wifi Bridge)

Purpose of the Product:
The Smoke product is a 2 probe wireless thermometer with a remote receiver capable of staying connected up to 300 feet from the base unit.  It’s Smoke Gateway is basically an old school wifi adapter that connects via RF to the Smoke base.  You can then use the Smoke Gateway App to connect to the base unit from anywhere you may have an internet connection through your phone, tablet, iPad, Chromebook, etc.  Theoretically, you could monitor the performance of your pit while you are at the grocery store.  The system allows you to set min/max alarms and keeps track of the high/low temperatures per probe too.

MSRP Info:
Smoke $99
Smoke Gateway $89
Carrying Case $19
Pro Series Probes $16-$21 (one food and one grate temp probe are included with the Smoke)
Pro Series Probe Extension $9

The probes are often on sale for less than $12.

Pros of the Product:
1. The base unit and the receiver connect/pair with each other automatically.  Most competitive products require you to do multiple steps to make the connection.  As soon as you turn on the base unit and the receiver, they find each other and connect.  It really is that simple.
2. The connection seems to work further than other products like this that I have had.  I have sat in my basement with the base unit monitoring my grill on the patio and the receiver stayed connected.
3. Receiver comes with a lanyard to wear around your neck.
4. You can connect multiple receivers to a base unit so multiple people on a BBQ team can monitor their pit.
5. Sturdy build quality and water resistant so you can use in the rain.
6. The Smoke Gateway is just neat.  Being able to monitor your pit via an app is cool to me.  You can set the min/max alarms via the app.  You can name each probe.  You can create a graph of the cook and save it for future reference.  It requires a small step to hold down a button for a few seconds to pair it to the base unit so that the RF connection is made so you can use the wifi app.
7. You can use the receiver while the Gateway is paired to the base unit.
8. Reasonably priced.

Cons of the Product:
1. There are other products in the market that have more than 2 probe connections for comparable pricing.
2. The initial setup of the Gateway was a bit cumbersome.  I had to do it twice and I feel I am fairly computer literate.
3. They do not provide instructions for how to change the probe names and other settings of the app.  I feel like they rushed this to market as they initially said a Spring 2017 launch of the Gateway that turned into Aug/Sep 2017.  It has had at least 3 app updates since I got it a few weeks ago.  I have not tried it since the upgrades.  This could also be a positive as they seem to be invested in keeping the software up to date.
4. Cable length on probes is about 4 feet.  I found this to be too short in some instances.  Fortunately, Thermoworks listened to me a few months ago when I emailed them a suggestion to create a cable extension for the Pro Series probes used on this unit and their other entry level thermometers.  The extension is a little over 3 feet and has worked well.
5. Does not come with a case, but you can buy one.  It is actually a nicely designed case that holds the base unit, receiver, gateway, and at least 4 probes in mesh pockets.
6. Can not control the grill temp with the wifi Gateway.  I personally did not expect this as it was not made to handle multiple controllers in the marketplace nor made exclusively for pellet grill usage.  Not sure that could be achievable, but felt it was worth noting for those who may have expected such a function.
7. Probes are not high heat type probes like some of the Thermoworks K thermocouple probes.  But, some K type probes cost almost as much as the Smoke.

Impressions and Additional Thoughts on the Product:
I find this product extremely easy to use.  I love the fact that there are no steps required to pair the base unit and receiver, and a minimal step to pair the Gateway to get the wifi access.  I have not measured whether this does actually work at 300 feet apart, but I did walk to the end of my driveway and used it in my basement.  It did drop connection on occasion, but it re-paired itself without any intervention once it got closer to receive the base unit signal.

The Smoke unit comes with a meat probe and a grill temp probe (including the grill grate clip to slide and secure the probe within the grill).  You can use it with each of these probes or connect 2 of the same type meat or grill temp.  Replacement or additional probes are affordable.  There are a few styles of probes available, and they work with some of the other entry level Thermoworks products like the Dot and Chef Alarm.

Overall, I like the ease of use and the sturdiness of the product.  The features are a bit limited, but I really can’t think of what else I would ask for in a feature.  I do look forward to any enhancements to the app.  The ability to change the temp scale on the graphs would be a nice one.

Would You Recommend This Product:
If you have a few extra dollars to spend versus the competitive products that have been in the industry for years, I would recommend this product for you.  Not having to do anything to pair the base and receiver is quick and easy comparative to the other competitive products I have used.  As mentioned previously, for not too much more, you can get units with up to 6 probes.  I like the fact that Thermoworks is known for commercial grade quality, has been around for a long time, and continues to develop new products.  Most of its competitors only make a handful of products at the most so I personally am concerned about the longevity and support from other manufacturers.

Administration Note: If you are thinking of buying this device and you use his link, Pellet Fan gets a small percentage of the purchase...FYI Smoke by Thermoworks

Smoke (base unit, receiver, probes, and grill grate clip)

Smoke and Smoke Gateway

Smoke App (on Android device)

Smoke App (on Chromebook)

Carrying Case (interior with Smoke, Gateway, probes, clip, cable extension, Gateway charger and usb cable)

Carrying Case (exterior)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:18:01 AM by Bar-B-Lew »
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Queball

Re: Thermoworks Smoke and Smoke Gateway
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 06:52:01 AM »

Interesting for sure Bar-B-Lew. .... Like you, I like the fact that their products are more "commercial grade' quality. Their multiple probe style offerings is a nice feature too. Thanks! for the review. When my current unit blows up, probably be the new direction I go in.

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 06:56:20 AM »

Nice job with the review.  :clap:
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:09:09 AM »

I added photos to the original review this morning.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 08:10:05 AM »

Great review, this will be so helpful to folks considering this product!

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 01:03:03 PM »

Owning one of these, it made following the review a lot easier and I whole heartedly agree with the overall assessment of the product. :clap:  Have had a lot going on as of late and haven't had an occasion to use the gateway feature yet.   Hopefuly things will settle down and I can see how the whole package works.     
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »

Excellent review; most thorough  :clap:
PZ

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 02:16:49 PM »

Wow!  I know the format I will be using when I do the Tappecue and the new temp monitor I am getting!

Nice job!  Talk about the bar being raised!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 03:05:17 PM »

Bravo... nice, clear, informative...
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 04:30:56 PM »

What are the high and low temperature ranges of the probes?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 05:06:40 PM »

What are the high and low temperature ranges of the probes?

Looks like all Pro Series probes have a range of -58°-572°F

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 05:55:45 PM »

Not to bad.  Seems like everyone kind of tops out at the 575° range, I wonder if that is the limit for these types of probes?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »

Not to bad.  Seems like everyone kind of tops out at the 575° range, I wonder if that is the limit for these types of probes?

Yep.  Some K type probes go between 900-2200F.  I think it is the materials of the probes which is why they are about 5x less the cost of the K type high heat probes.

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Product Review - Thermoworks Smoke and Smoke Gateway
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 07:14:39 PM »

Great review. Looking forward to the day we can purchase it under PelletFan...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
Re: Product Review - Thermoworks Smoke and Smoke Gateway
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 08:35:25 AM »

Excellent, Bar-B-Lew!
I have such a unit and have purchased additional probes.
I do not have the Gateway option (as yet)
If I do purchase that option, I believe I will purchase the carrying case as well.

Nifty
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up