Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 15 Oct 2019
  • Has anyone bought the new front folding SS shelf?  I am thinking about it and would like some feedback (not from RT website). $100 + shipping .   
  • #2 by cookingjnj on 16 Oct 2019
  • Hey okie, not sure what you mean by new front SS shelf and then not from RT?  I have the front shelf on my 680 and use it all the time.
  • #3 by pbison on 17 Oct 2019
  • I got the shelf for my Stampede with the credit they gave me for my problems.  It's OK.  Looks nice, goes up easy and securely.  It's a little narrow and pretty low at about 26" off the ground.  The ball locks can also be a bit of a pain to put it down and take two hands, but I believe that's the same as the Bull shelf.   Easy to install, uses the existing two bolts on the front.  Handy to have.  I think some of the home made shelves may be better, but if you want to buy one it does the job fine and should hold up well.

• #4 by okie smokie on 17 Oct 2019
  • Hey okie, not sure what you mean by new front SS shelf and then not from RT?  I have the front shelf on my 680 and use it all the time.
    "not from RT" means I wanted reviews from PF not the ones on the RT site, which they screen before adding to their list.
  • #5 by okie smokie on 17 Oct 2019
  • I got the shelf for my Stampede with the credit they gave me for my problems.  It's OK.  Looks nice, goes up easy and securely.  It's a little narrow and pretty low at about 26" off the ground.  The ball locks can also be a bit of a pain to put it down and take two hands, but I believe that's the same as the Bull shelf.   Easy to install, uses the existing two bolts on the front.  Handy to have.  I think some of the home made shelves may be better, but if you want to buy one it does the job fine and should hold up well.

Thanks, pbison, will go for it.  I am 5' 9" so the 26" height will work out fine. I think 10" deep is enough. As I recall my Blaz'n GS shelf was about the same. 
  • #6 by pbison on 18 Oct 2019

Thanks, pbison, will go for it.  I am 5' 9" so the 26" height will work out fine. I think 10" deep is enough. As I recall my Blaz'n GS shelf was about the same.

Another thing to consider is that the barrel overhangs the shelf.  So if you put something a few inches high on it, the usable depth is just over 8".   
  • #7 by okie smokie on 18 Oct 2019

Another thing to consider is that the barrel overhangs the shelf.  So if you put something a few inches high on it, the usable depth is just over 8".
    Will look more closely before decision.  Thx
  • #8 by okie smokie on 24 Oct 2019
  • Well I bought it and it arrived yesterday.  Easy to put on. Brackets seem a bit flimsy to me and the snaps that hold the shelf up in place are a bit difficult as described elsewhere.  Looks narrow because of the position but a kitchen plate will set on it easily. No platters tho--they will have to stay on the top of the pellet hopper.  Not sure I will be entirely happy with it. When locked in place it feels sturdy with no wobble. We shall see.  Don't look for my 5 star approval on the RT site for now.   :-\
  • #9 by melaleuca727 on 28 Oct 2019
  • I use the Traeger front shelf on my 680.

Have been very happy with it.

https://www.traegergrills.com/accessories/folding-front-shelf-34-series
  • #10 by BigDave83 on 28 Oct 2019

That is what I had on my 680 had it before RT made one for it. Far cheaper and I liked that is was closer to grate level, the only real issue was those stupid horn made it limited in space with lid down.

For the 590, I have seen a lot of folks using the fold down brackets from Amazon and making a nice wood or metal shelf for it, they could make the shelf deeper sso it had more space. Saved money also.
  • #11 by melaleuca727 on 28 Oct 2019

That is what I had on my 680 had it before RT made one for it. Far cheaper and I liked that is was closer to grate level, the only real issue was those stupid horn made it limited in space with lid down.

I turned the horns around to avoid interfering with the shelf space.
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 28 Oct 2019

I just sold the whole 680 as it was just taking up space.

• #13 by okie smokie on 28 Oct 2019

I just sold the whole 680 as it was just taking up space.

Gotta keep the horns down on mine. It's a Sooner thing! Horns not in the way of anything but a tall bottle or such.  :rotf:
  • #14 by okie smokie on 28 Nov 2019
  • Have decided that the shelf is a B+. Stronger than it appears and now opens and closes easily. Also it appears to be 304 SS as it is not magnetic. 
  • #15 by BigDave83 on 29 Nov 2019
  • Have decided that the shelf is a B+. Stronger than it appears and now opens and closes easily. Also it appears to be 304 SS as it is not magnetic.

To bad RT will not allow your review of less than 5 stars to be seen on their site.
Pages:
Actions