Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by MikeMcQ on 19 Oct 2019
  • Definitely not my first brisket but first on my Memphis. I'm kind of old school and don't go for high grade packers simply the cheapest. I figure the art of low&slow began with poor & slaves learning how to slow cook xxxx cuts to make it tender and delicious so....

This is a comparatively smallish one only 13.7lb before trimming (my last one was over 18!)

Trimmed off 2.03lb

Going on Pro pre-heated 180f using CookinPellets Hickory 2:45am. For years I made my own rub. It was kinda complicated! About 5 years ago I tried a brisket simply using Montreal Steak seasoning and we loved it. So I've stuck with it, simple!

Now 3:12am and off to bed. When I get up I'll crank it up to 250f. When IT hits 160f will transfer to aluminum pan and cover with foil. More later...
  • #2 by triplebq on 19 Oct 2019
  • I'm sure it will be delish
  • #3 by pmillen on 19 Oct 2019
  • Three brisket temperature probes…
    What are you monitoring it with?
    Is there much difference between the probes?
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Oct 2019
  • Looks like the probes that work with the grills controller
  • #5 by Canadian John on 19 Oct 2019

•  The newer Pro (wifi) has 3 probe jacks so up to 3 probes can be used.

• #6 by yorkdude on 19 Oct 2019
  • That looks great, been a while for a brisket here.
    Reminds me that it might be time.
  • #7 by MikeMcQ on 19 Oct 2019
  • Yes those are Memphis probes, not using the Tappecue. Indeed my new Pro has 3 ports, comes with 1 probe purchased 2 additional.

Took a quick peek 6:20 into the cook.

Current IT temps 128, 132 and 140f. As suspected this little guy coming up somewhat fast and of course the flat faster than the point... Decided to leave temp set at 180f until time to pan and foil for the finish.

Grrrr have a bunch of aluminum pans in a garage cupboard but discovered out of 9x13", need to get dressed and run to Cash&Carry!
  • #8 by MikeMcQ on 19 Oct 2019
  • Back from Cash&Carry. ITs at 145, 135, 147f now 8 hours in. Upped temp to 225f.... About 15f IT to go before pan and foil...
  • #9 by MikeMcQ on 19 Oct 2019
  • Ok 10 hours in and ITs 151, 145 and 157f bumping up to 250f....what I said I was going to raise to from 180f in the first place.  ;)
  • #10 by MikeMcQ on 19 Oct 2019
  • 10:55 into cook flat IT 171f time to pan and foil for the run home...

• #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Oct 2019
  • Looking forward to seeing the slices.
  • #12 by MikeMcQ on 19 Oct 2019
  • Pulled to separate flat and point IT 201f flat 12:30 hours, probed nice and tender.

Pan juices saved to make gravey

Had a bit of an epiphany, don't separate the point and flat and cut up the point directly on the big cutting board. Use a mat in the pan! In the past I did do it directly on that heavy huge cutting board. Mucho easier to save additional juices this wayl :clap: You can see the additional juices after cutting up the point, simple to pour in with the rest of the juices.

Point cut up for burnt ends...

And back on temp turned down to 225f, sauced with Rasta Joe's Hot BBQ Sauce

Now to slice the flat....
  • #13 by MikeMcQ on 19 Oct 2019
  • ....sliced flat ta-da  ;D. Burnt ends have been stirred a couple times still on the smoker...

• #14 by okie smokie on 19 Oct 2019
  • Great looking result.  Wish I could help you eat it.  Montreal Steak Seasoning sounds perfect.  Several folks I know are just using S&P as well.  Will give the MSS a try.   :clap:
  • #15 by MaytagMan on 20 Oct 2019
  • Looks delicious...  making me think it must be brisket time out here next weekend.
Pages:
Actions