Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hank D Thoreau on 25 Oct 2019
  • I needed to do some quick cooking last night. I was doing a work drop off at a place next to an Aldi's. I decided to get one of the pre-trimmed, pre-rubbed tri-tips to smoke. I needed low maintenance. It turns out they had good tri-tips but not pre-rubbed. I ended up looking at the pre-packed ribeye steaks. They looked particularly good, well marbled. I decided to give one a try. So I left with a tri-tip, ribeye, and also a piece of seasoned salmon. I also got a few packages of frozen quinoa. On the way home I stopped at another market and got some Santa Maria rub, classic California BBQ.

The upshot, and why I am writing this, is that the ribeye was incredibly good. I used the Santa Maria rub and cooked it with the tri-tip at 250. I finished it on my Weber Q2200 at about 500. I am really pleased with the quality of the steak at only $8.99. The tri-tip and salmon were also good, but that is expected. Tri-tip and Salmon are very reliable. The quality of the steak, though, was much better than I normally find at a market. I will definitely be buying more steaks at Aldi's. By the time I was done, my quick low maintenance cook night turned into over 2 hours not counting buying the food.
  • #2 by Brushpopper on 26 Oct 2019
  • By the time I was done, my quick low maintenance cook night turned into over 2 hours not counting buying the food.

Apparently we went to the same cook planning school because things always take longer than I plan on too.  :D
  • #3 by pmillen on 26 Oct 2019
  • Yep, that's the story of my life.  Almost everything takes three times as long as I planned.

I'm interested in the frozen quinoa.  Marcia's really enthusiastic about quinoa so we have a lot of it in the cupboard.  Why do some providers freeze it?  Meal moths?
  • #4 by Hank D Thoreau on 26 Oct 2019
  • I bought microwave and heat, Southwest and Mediterranean quinoa mixes. I have found that pre-made comes in handy when cooking for two. There are too many ingredients that end up going to waste.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Pages:
Actions