Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by LowSlowJoe on 15 Sep 2017
  • No, I myself am not a sweet and spicy pickle... but sometimes I do play one on TV.  :)

This is my little 'review' of a sweet and spicy pickle that I recently found at a local store. The are 'Meijer' brand... if you don't spend much time in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, or Kentucky , you may have never heard of Meijer, they are a relatively large regional chain of stores, similar to a Walmart ( but for me at least, much nicer stores , in most cases ).   Meijer has some products that carry their own brand name, and has recently put some varieties of sweet and spicy pickles out on shelves.   

I tried three varieties so far. "Spicy Maple Bourbon"   is my favorite at this point, but they have a Chipitole version that is pretty good, and another Mango Habanaro that I didn't like quite as much ( not a big fan of Mango ).   

When I bought them, I didn't expect that much from the Spicy Maple Bourbon, it just seemed like a odd combination... but wow, they are very good.  For me, just the right amount of heat and sweet... been a while since I actually tasted Bourbon ( like 30+ years ), so I can't say for sure how much it tastes like Bourbon, but it really is a wonderful flavor. 

Pros  - Cheaper then some of the name brand pickles that have similar sweet/hot flavors..  Tastes as good or better then some of the more expensive pickles

Cons - You can only get them if you have a Meijer store near you, I don't think they do any online sales or anything like that.  Other then that , the only other con is that they taste so good, you might just want to sit there and eat the whole jar.

A side note...  I don't remember the first brand of sweet/spicy pickles I had tried, but I recently became a big fan of this type of pickle.  Famous Dave's makes a pretty decent one ( but not the Devil's Spit , those are to hot for my tastes )... There are a lot of brands  out now that sell similar style pickles, but wow..  I didn't realize how expensive pickles can be... that's why I was really happy to see a fairly decent price on the Meijer brand pickles.

Recommendation -  I absolutely would recommend these pickles to anyone who likes a sweet and spicy pickle, ( similar to a bread and butter pickle, but spicy)...

( Hmm, now I wonder how/why the photos are sideways)
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Sep 2017
  • Meijer is a customer of the company I work for so I am very familiar with them.  It is my understanding that Sam Walton used the Meijer model to create their super store format that has spread across the country the last 10-15 years.

As for the pickles, my wife loves the Famous Dave's ones that you mentioned and she does not like really spicy food, but has grown to like a little spice kick over the last 20 years we have been married.

I bought some Devil's Spit BBQ sauce to put on some wings one of these weekends.  I remember it being spicy when we used to eat at Famous Dave's in WI.
  • #3 by Free Mr. Tony on 15 Sep 2017
  • Love them. Haven't tried the Meijer ones. I will now. Thanks for the tip. We have I think 3 Meijers here, but I don't get there much. Kroger man for the most part with a little fresh market here and there.

The Tony packo sweet hots are my number 1 pickle. That will be my benchmark.
  • #4 by LowSlowJoe on 15 Sep 2017
  • I think maybe it was the Famous Dave's 'Signature Spicy Pickle Chips' that I first tasted  of this nature,    I got those at another store that's mostly in the midwest , that being Rural King...   Rural king sells 24 ounce jars of those pickles for $2.99, which is a good price, and they are good pickles.  Problem is , the nearest Rural King to me is like a hour drive .  I think local stores I've seen carrying the Famous Dave's Pickles, are typically closer to $5 a jar.   Rural King , is a interesting place too...  a lot of good deals  to be had.   I wish I had one closer to me.
  • #5 by Free Mr. Tony on 15 Sep 2017
  • I think maybe it was the Famous Dave's 'Signature Spicy Pickle Chips' that I first tasted  of this nature,    I got those at another store that's mostly in the midwest , that being Rural King...   Rural king sells 24 ounce jars of those pickles for $2.99, which is a good price, and they are good pickles.  Problem is , the nearest Rural King to me is like a hour drive .  I think local stores I've seen carrying the Famous Dave's Pickles, are typically closer to $5 a jar.   Rural King , is a interesting place too...  a lot of good deals  to be had.   I wish I had one closer to me.
    We have a rural king locally, and they do have oddly good deals on food items sometimes. And a surprising variety of rubs. At least at mine. Not sure if they all have pretty much the same stuff or not.

Do you get Tony packo products there? Try the sweet hots if you haven't. They are expensive though. I think around 6 a jar.
  • #6 by LowSlowJoe on 15 Sep 2017
  • Do you get Tony packo products there? Try the sweet hots if you haven't. They are expensive though. I think around 6 a jar.

I haven't seen any yet, but then I haven't looked in all stores, just maybe 3 so far...  I'll have to keep my eye out for them.
  • #7 by JimAZ on 15 Sep 2017
  • I ran across hot bread a butter pickles about a year ago and they were very good.  Haven't seen them since.
  • #8 by TLK on 15 Sep 2017
  • give me a good ol' fashioned kosher dill any day........
  • #9 by LowSlowJoe on 15 Sep 2017
  • Well Costco selling 64 ounces of Famous Dave's spicy pickle chips for  $5
  • #10 by Bobitis on 15 Sep 2017
  • give me a good ol' fashioned kosher dill any day........

Yep... The only thing I can tolerate a small amount of sweet pickle in is macaroni salad.
  • #11 by InThePitBBQ on 15 Sep 2017
    Joe there's a Rural King 5 minutes from my place just over the state line, I can send ya a care package anytime they have several things on the shelf there we like to keep stocked up on.

I'm gonna head to Meijer's for some of those pickles they look really good!
    • InThePitBBQ
Pages:
Actions