Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 05 Nov 2019
  • My son has a motor home and wanted a small smoker that would be easy to carry, and store in his 32 ft Winnie. After some review, I was down to the Davy C and the Country Smoker Traveler. The Davy is around $330 with both added flash lights, cover and second shelf and has  wifi and all the bells except direct flame. But he would prefer the smaller Country Smoker Traveler.  It is a product of a subsidiary of Danson's and I was told has 5 year warranty on parts and construction. (it is not so stated on their website, but I called them to inquire). At only $189 delivered, it comes will the added inner half shelf, and will adequately handle enough entree for a family of 5.  I decided that ribs racks would have to be halved, but plenty of them could be done with a rib rack.  Either a point or flat brisket, or couple of small butts, 5 or 6 burgers.  Has advantage of a sliding cover open flame drip pan. Has anyone of us had some experience with this.  The reviews are limited but mostly positive. See the two references and videos below:

https://www.amazon.com/Country-Smokers-CSPEL015010497-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B07VNN775P/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=country+smoker+portable&qid=1572972105&sr=8-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiQIej-YJg0 ???
  • #2 by W6YJ on 05 Nov 2019
  • I believe a long haul trucker posted about one either today or yesterday.
    They look like a neat, compact grill / smoker.

The one possible negative is they require 110V AC power, while the DC can run off either 12V or 110V.

Also assuming that their motorhome has either a generator or an inverter.

Ed
  • #3 by reubenray on 06 Nov 2019
  • The Country Smoker looks similar to a small smoker Traeger had at one time.  There were two negatives with it.  The pellet hopper was too small and when adding pellets you would lose your temperature.  I have a Traeger Junior with the tailgate kit.  When I bought my second motorhome a compartment for it was the first thing I looked for.  We do a lot of smoking while on trips.  If you have the space for the DC I would go with it instead of the CS.
  • #4 by okie smokie on 06 Nov 2019
  • Well, I deduced to go with his preference, although I agree the DC would be better all around. The Traveler will arrive on the 19th.  Will get back to this thread then. 
  • #5 by hughver on 06 Nov 2019
  • The site did not mention Country Smoker Travelers weight, but I bought my DC for use with my MH and it was too heavy to move in and out of the storage bay.  :2cents:
  • #6 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2019
  • Sure looks like the old Traeger 020 to me too!

• #7 by okie smokie on 06 Nov 2019
  • Sure looks like the old Traeger 020 to me too!

A bit different inside. The pellet bin sticks up a little higher and some of the ads say it holds 5 lbs (some say 3.5). They have one at the local Ace I can compare with.  Also, has the two piece drip pan, curved, with the slits in the middle for direct flame (not on Traeger).  The guy on video who tested it got it up to 450 easily and it held there.  I like the open flame ability. You can sear two burgers at a time while cooking at least 4 others, then just move them around. Traeger costs around $300.  Like most of their units, a bit on the high end. Remember that Joe Traeger has been a part of Danson's for some time so there you go.
  • #8 by yorkdude on 06 Nov 2019
  • The site did not mention Country Smoker Travelers weight, but I bought my DC for use with my MH and it was too heavy to move in and out of the storage bay.  :2cents:
    Not only are they heavy for the size, they are pretty darn awkward also. We always use 2 people to make sure and get the legs back behind the pegs. I bought a little flat furniture dolly that I use to move mine around.
  • #9 by ylr on 06 Nov 2019
  • The Traveler weighs 42.6 lbs., so not too bad!
Pages:
Actions