Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What was Your Biggest "Oops" with Your Pit or Cook?  (Read 1727 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
What was Your Biggest "Oops" with Your Pit or Cook?
« on: September 15, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »

So mowin's thread got me to thinking out some of our "oops" in cooking.  I remember the classic one at the Best Dam BBQ competition in Boulder City, Nv but I will wait and see if Bent posts that one.  Maybe he will also tell folks about the Fairfield competition.  We seem to have a lot of oops's in our competition past.

What about the PelletFan Nation?  Anyone out there have an oops moment?

Greg1

• Using less gas.
Re: What was Your Biggest "Oops" with Your Pit or Cook?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:08:03 PM »

I am sure this will pale in comparison to most stories that get told on here.  But first time I am going to cook a brisket and I am excited and nervous all at the same time.  I poured over the forums and got a plan in place and I am feeling really good about how the cook is going.  Until it was time to slice and eat the brisket.  In all of my preparation I didn't put any research on the wood choice.  I am using mesquite and also running a amazing tube smoker full of mesquite.  Well it didn't take my wife and myself very long to decide that we are not mesquite fans.  Fortunately for us sitting in the fridge a couple days and re-warming in some beef broth tamed it down quite a bit.  My wife never lets me forget that incident. 
Louisiana LG900 Traeger Texas Elite 34 Big Horn SRPG 1093

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:15:43 PM »

One of my cornish game hens flew out out of the pit and onto the concrete, or maybe I just dropped it.  I washed it off and ate it since all the other ones were spoken for.  All the good rub went down the sink, but it was still not too bad, just a little bit bland.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »

Fairfield, that was a spell back.  Summer of 2004, still competing with Traeger...Yes singular, still using just one 075 for a 4 meat KCBS competition.  Pretty much in an area of the city that was homes, with a few single story medical type business.  My site is kind of mishmash, in a parking lot of one of these business.  Nicely landscaped with a few sections of lawn and flower beds.  I set up site, and have Traeger next to grass...About 3am sprinklers come on, Traeger is Out and will not start, digital controller will not even light up!  Call promoter Jeff Jones who I think was President of CA BBQ Association at the time too.  He has his Evil Stick Burner there and I am embarrassed to say I had to finish the Butt & Brisket on it and do the entire Chicken and Rib cook on that pit!

I think Kim & Brent Walton of team QN4U later bought it and competed with it!

Boulder City Competition was just a classic Bentley move, have spray bottle of Gatorade I am using to spray ribs, also have bottle of Simple Green close...You can guess the rest!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:16:44 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Jcorwin818

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • 10th SFG (Lenexa, Ks)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 04:16:21 PM »

During the Lenexa BBQ Contest this year I'm in charge of the buts and chicken.  I always inject the butts after meat inspection on Friday and they go into the smoker prox 11/12 Friday night.  Well they got done Saturday and I was going to pull, wrap and into the Cambro but something didn't look right.  Yup in my hurry to get them in the smoker I forgot to put the rub on them.  My son and grandson will be dogging me for years to come.
Traeger 075 Texas (USA) WSM 22" Weber Kettle Weber Spirit 310

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »

Not food related, but the biggest oops Bar-B-Lew and I share was restarting the smoker after a flameout and not cleaning out the pot first (fire pot that is). That was back when I didn't know any better and had never read about it. I figured it ran out of pellets and went out. The thought never crossed my mind that the auger was still turning.  ???

I just fired it up like normal and went back inside. After about 10 minutes, I went to check on it an there was a LARGE amount of brownish-yellowish smoke coming out of every leak point imaginable. In my ignorance, I opened the lid.  ::)  A low sounding BOOM resulted, and I quickly put the lid down and turned it off. The two gals walking there dogs in the side yard were quite concerned about what was happening. I assured them everything was under control.

The moral of the story is; if you see this color of smoke coming out of your smoker, don't touch anything and turn it OFF. It'll get bloody HOT but will kill itself for lack of oxygen.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:47:40 PM by Bobitis »
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »

Not food related, but my biggest oops was restarting the smoker after a flameout and not cleaning out the pot first (fire pot that is). That was back when I didn't know any better and had never read about it. I figured it ran out of pellets and went out. The thought never crossed my mind that the auger was still turning.  ???

I just fired it up like normal and went back inside. After about 10 minutes, I went to check on it an there was a LARGE amount of brownish-yellowish smoke coming out of every leak point imaginable. In my ignorance, I opened the lid.  ::)  A low sounding BOOM resulted, and I quickly put the lid down and turned it off. The two gals walking there dogs in the side yard were quite concerned about what was happening. I assured them everything was under control.

The moral of the story is; if you see this color of smoke coming out of your smoker, don't touch anything and turn it OFF. It'll get bloody HOT but will kill itself for lack of oxygen.

You stole my story! :-[
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 05:49:17 PM »

Not food related, but my biggest oops was restarting the smoker after a flameout and not cleaning out the pot first (fire pot that is). That was back when I didn't know any better and had never read about it. I figured it ran out of pellets and went out. The thought never crossed my mind that the auger was still turning.  ???

You stole my story! :-[

Fixed it for us.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 06:11:52 PM »

:clap:
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »

Not necessarily pit related, but the comp stories made me think of this one. I was having a little too much fun (Captain Morgan) at the first American royal I went to in 2014. Somewhere around midnight I figured I should sober up a bit, and decided to make my box for turn in the next day. It was virtually black (for some reason we did not have great lighting that year or it was just off) and I was still feeling pretty good. I meticulously put together the lettuce, parsley, etc for a good long time. Only problem was, I built it in the top of the box instead of the bottom. Had to start all over. A couple people caught wind of it, and toddler and BIL ribbed me pretty good for it.

I'm not 100% sure, but I remember the next day that Toddler made his box (stone sober)  in the same fashion.  Karma is a son of a you know what.

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 07:14:34 PM »

Yeah, that Captain Morgan (mixed with diet coke?) can fix you right up FMT.

One of my blunders was to do a cook without the drip pan in position.
Makes for a mighty mess on the patio/
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 08:26:19 AM by Trooper »
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

mowin

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 08:27:40 PM »

Well, I'm glad my "oops" post blossomed into this thread.... :rotf:

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »

Yeah, that Captain Morgan (mixed with diet coke?) can fix you right up FMT.

One of my blunders was to do a cook without the drip pain in position.
Makes for a mighty mess on the patio/

Don't forget the lime wedge, but yes. I was informed by a bartender at one point that I was ordering a "skinny pirate".
Even if that is the name, I just ask for "captain and diet with a lime"

smokin soon

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 10:24:51 PM »

18 lbs of pork butt in an overnight cook, did not notice the grease bucket had been knocked off by the dog. I don't use foil pans, so a pretty big mess to wake up to.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 10:39:07 PM »

So far I have been lucky. When I had my PG500 I somehow thought I could lean against the unit while I was cooking. I placed my hand on top of the unit. I quickly realize that was a no no.  :o
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up