Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP NEEDED - Low Sodium (no salt added) beef recipes  (Read 239 times)

KrautBurner

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
HELP NEEDED - Low Sodium (no salt added) beef recipes
« on: November 08, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »

I am pretty proud of my briskets and tri-tip roasts that I smoke on my old Traeger BBQ124
but I always have a decent amount of salt  (normal rub starts with SPG)

I want to make some BBQ for my wife's Grandfather (Korean War Vet) this weekend,
but he is on a NO SALT diet (and everything I've done with beef had significant salt in it)

do you guys have any suggestions?
I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: HELP NEEDED - Low Sodium (no salt added) beef recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 11:42:29 AM »

Black Pepper, granulated garlic, and a little cumin
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 01:10:30 PM »

You might try a sodium free salt, both McCormick's and Morton make one.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 01:57:40 PM »

I have frequently prepared meat with no rub at all. I also try to limit both my salt and sugar intake.

A barbecued or smoked piece of quality meat requires nothing to enhance flavor. A good piece of meat taste good on its own

A good sear for the Maillard reaction is all that is necessary.

I have advocated this position for along time. I think you taste the meat more. I have only recently really started to explore different rubs.

But if you are used to rubs, you may feel that a rubbed piece of meat represents what you expect in flavor.

And frankly, the more flavor enhancers you use, such as salt and butter, the more you need.

I found that after cutting much of the salt out of my diet that I only need a few grains to enhance flavor and get the same effect as a few vigorous shakes used to provide.

And I cannot eat anything with butter any longer. It is so rich that it overwhelms my taste buds.

As an example, eat some lettuce greens without dressing, or a potato with nothing on it. It is amazing the flavors that we mask when we prepare food.

This is a minimalist view. You can add normal spices that you find in rubs, just minus the salt.

Others have already mentioned the usual suspects.

And keep in mind, if he is used to no salt then his taste buds will be calibrated to no salt.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:30:42 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 02:23:40 PM »

I grew up not using salt, so I don't salt anything except corn on the cob.  I throw together rubs with a bunch of different spices, but no salt.  It may be tough for someone used to having salt on most things.  I've always cooked without it, so I don't miss it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up