Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by canyonier on 12 Nov 2019
  • This year I plan to smoke two 15# whole turkeys.
    In the past I have been brining the birds in a solution containing a lot of tarragon.
    I have been doing this for several years and I am really proud of the results.
    This year I plan to go a different route: the Traeger Orange Brine and turkey rub kit.
    Haven't talked to anyone who has tried it, but it sounds appealing to me.
    After brining, here's what I have been doing;
    Set the pellet grill for 225 deg and let cook for 7 or 8 hours. That's all I do.
    What about you folks? Do you slow cook at around 225 or cook at a higher temp for a shorter time or perhaps a combination of both?

I have been thinking that maybe I should cook at the 225 deg but near the end of the cook turn up the temperature to, say, 350 def for the last few minutes in order to better crispin the skin.
    Glenn
  • #2 by Bentley on 12 Nov 2019
  • Tried and true wins in my book...Right...

I like to cook my turkey much like the oven, med high heat, I just use hardwood for the fuel source.  Simple 3% sugar and salt brine with a few herbs for 24 hours.  350° for about 4-5 hours, only difference is I now part the bird and cook parts, they can be removed when they are done.  I like breast at 160° and leggs at 200° IT, fork tender.  I cannot accomplish that with a whole bird, not without ruining one or the other.

This year I plan to smoke two 15# whole turkeys.
    In the past I have been brining the birds in a solution containing a lot of tarragon.
    I have been doing this for several years and I am really proud of the results.

• #3 by Brushpopper on 12 Nov 2019
  • If that has worked for you in the past it sounds like a good plan.  Never know about a new seasoning or cooking method until you try it.
  • #4 by rdsbucks on 12 Nov 2019
  • Bentley, do you separate them before or after you brine?
  • #5 by pmillen on 12 Nov 2019
  • Tried and true wins in my book...Right...

I like to cook my turkey much like the oven, med high heat, I just use hardwood for the fuel source.  Simple 3% sugar and salt brine with a few herbs for 24 hours.  350° for about 4-5 hours, only difference is I now part the bird and cook parts, they can be removed when they are done.  I like breast at 160° and leggs at 200° IT, fork tender.  I cannot accomplish that with a whole bird, not without ruining one or the other.

+1

I'm also in favor of a simple brine and separating the white and dark meat so they can be pulled from the pit at differing internal temperatures.

Here's a chicken separated by white and dark meat.  A turkey is done the same way.
  • #6 by Bentley on 12 Nov 2019
  • I part now and then brine.  Not sure that it maters, I fool myself into believing parted pieces have more surface area to accept the brine.  The science behind brining probably makes this a silly statement.

Bentley, do you separate them before or after you brine?
  • #7 by dk117 on 12 Nov 2019
  • I purchase turkey legs separately from whole turkey breasts (both sides if that makes sense, entire turkey but no dark meat).  Legs are on about two hours earlier than the breast.   Legs can take the IT beyond 180 and be fine.  Breast 160 and done. 

Skin I've given up on, doesn't really matter.

• #8 by Canadian John on 12 Nov 2019

•  Excellent first post-welcome.

I would give your proposed method a try..We all have our favourites. As good as they are we tend to search for that special one..I have tried many recipes and rubs over the years only to return to MY tried and true.

The one thing I can deem as mandatory is record keeping when trying something new.
  • #9 by bregent on 12 Nov 2019
  • I use only salt and sugar in my brine. Salt is the only thing that will really penetrate and sugar helps with browning. Spices remain on the surface and are much more effective when applied directly to the bird - you'll use only a fraction compared to what's needed in a brine.  If you want to get the flavor of spice deep into the meat, then inject.
  • #10 by KeithG on 17 Nov 2019
  • I usually use a bourbon maple brine for 24 hours, rest one day in fridge, uncovered. Then Turkey Day smoke for 1 hour at 200 then raise the temp to 350 to finish. Add the dressing to the pit about an hour before the turkey is done.
  • #11 by yorkdude on 17 Nov 2019
  • We are doing one in the oven and one with the pellet grill. Going to try and separate it, white meat-dark meat. Last year we spatchcocked it.
  • #12 by pmillen on 17 Nov 2019
  • I use only salt and sugar in my brine. Salt is the only thing that will really penetrate and sugar helps with browning. Spices remain on the surface and are much more effective when applied directly to the bird - you'll use only a fraction compared to what's needed in a brine.  If you want to get the flavor of spice deep into the meat, then inject.

+1. That is so smart.

I continue to think that maybe a bit of garlic penetrates.  So I continue to add it to my salt/sugar brine.
Pages:
Actions