Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Dudley Do Right on 15 Nov 2019
  • I've had a few instances when cooking on this new grill that I had to deal with a grease fire.

1st was smoking bacon.
    2nd was cooking Pork Butts

Each happened to words the end of the cook.  In the case of the Pork buts at the end of he cook my temp was at 300f (they dont have 275). Meat was at 190f I was going to hit it with a final hog wash spray.  When I opened the lid the right side (near drain) flared up and caught all the grease on the domed  drip tray a fire.

Have any of you experienced this with these grills of similar Pit Boss grills?

I'm thinking the issue has a lot to do with the fire pot not having a deflector on it (so you can get direct flame). The flame hits the drip tray and if a good flame heats up and or licks over the edge. the domed drip tray is cool but channels all the grease to either side.

Never had this issue with my other older treager pit.

Any help here?  Factory seems stupefied like this could never happen. Yet they talk about grease fires and flare up in the manual LOL.

• #2 by silverbullet on 14 Dec 2019
  • Grease fires happen, I've had a Traeger, GMG's & LG800E. And have had Grease fires in all of them. I've found that when loading the pit up its more susceptible to grease fires. Traeger has 6 pork butts on it & caught fire towards the end of the cook. GMG DC I was cooking 6 NY strips on it when it caught fire.

The LG800 is a different animal. Was doing grease burn off as I've done with every other pellet pit I've owned after a cook. That's a no no. I've found that excess grease needs to be cleaned before doing a burn off.

Its all a learning process.

• #3 by Canadian John on 15 Dec 2019
  • Grease fires happen, I've had a Traeger, GMG's & LG800E. And have had Grease fires in all of them. I've found that when loading the pit up its more susceptible to grease fires. Traeger has 6 pork butts on it & caught fire towards the end of the cook. GMG DC I was cooking 6 NY strips on it when it caught fire.

The LG800 is a different animal. Was doing grease burn off as I've done with every other pellet pit I've owned after a cook. That's a no no. I've found that excess grease needs to be cleaned before doing a burn off.

Its all a learning process. +1.. Also for the GREASY cooks, use a drip pan to capture the mess. It's an immense help in reducing clean-up time and fires.
  • #4 by Conumdrum on 16 Dec 2019
  • Never had one in my 5+ year old Yoder.  And I don't clean it that often.
Pages:
Actions