Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by cookingjnj on 15 Nov 2019
  • Hi all.  I have a quick question regarding how long a rub can be on chicken wings.  I have a lunch event on Sunday where I will be cooking chicken wings in the smoker.  My concern is how much prep time I will have to get them ready to cook.  Tomorrow I will be out of the house early in the morning through late in the evening, so can't do much prep work tomorrow.  I was going to cut the wings into the drumettes and flats tonight.  If I apply the rub to the wings and seal them in a zip back, would there be any issues cooking them on Sunday?  The rub I am using has salt as an ingredient, so not sure if too much liquid would be pulled out with that long of a dry brine?

Thoughts?   I know I am asking a little late now.  Thanks much.
  • #2 by bregent on 15 Nov 2019
  • Should be fine. Salt initially pulls moisture out but after a few hours most if not all will be reabsorbed - pulling salt back in with it.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Nov 2019
  • I don't think your approach is an issue, but I find no difference putting rub on over night or right before any meat goes onto the grill.  I quit wasting the extra step.
  • #4 by cookingjnj on 17 Nov 2019
  • Thanks guys.  I wound up putting the rub on late Friday night.  Getting the pit started in about 10 minutes to let the games begin. 
Pages:
Actions