Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Cold Smoker  (Read 985 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Small Cold Smoker
« on: November 17, 2019, 07:40:59 AM »

Has anyone constructed a small cold smoker? Thinking perhaps plywood. Size 3 to 4 FT high and 1 1/2 to 2 FT deep and wide. The smoke source leaves me with more questions than ideas..

Heat loss, if a problem can be dealt with. As for it's use. Not 100% sure. Cheese comes to mind. If you have any cold smoke ideas I would be interested..

No I am not senile. I like a challenge of doing something new and the cold smoker could fit the bill.

KeithG

• Using less gas.
Re: Small Cold Smoker
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 09:46:26 AM »

Hi Canadian John,
One year Cabela’s had the Masterbuit 30” electric smoker on sale on Black Friday for $119 with cover. I figured that gave me an insulated box for less than I could build one. I use that along with the little Amaz’n sawdust tray with sawdust for smoking cheese. The biggest hit I’ve had with my smoked cheese was with grapevine sawdust.
Keith
RecTec RT-680, WSM 18, MES30, Weber Genesis

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 10:20:04 AM »

Has anyone constructed a small cold smoker? Thinking perhaps plywood. Size 3 to 4 FT high and 1 1/2 to 2 FT deep and wide. The smoke source leaves me with more questions than ideas..

Heat loss, if a problem can be dealt with. As for it's use. Not 100% sure. Cheese comes to mind. If you have any cold smoke ideas I would be interested..

No I am not senile. I like a challenge of doing something new and the cold smoker could fit the bill.
Not sure I would be a fan of plywood, realizing the temp might not be an issue but plywood stinks and the glue??????? Not sure.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 10:48:55 AM »

I think the plywood would be okay, you would have to season it with a few hours of smoke., You could always also, line the inside of the box with aluminum flashing and some good silicone in the corners. If I were to build one I would find reasonably priced racks and build it to for them into. also have some supports for some 3/4 wooden dowels to hang things from. And adjustable damper, and if your are really ino it maybe a small computer type fan with a dimmer switch so you could control air flow.

If you have access to good pallets, you could use them and fill in the open spots, and build your box.

For smoke, 3 ways that come to mind, would be an one of the cold smoke tubes or trays. I use my tray more than my tubes. I use from this company ( https://amazenproducts.com/ ) He also has bulk Qmatz material, if you sign up for emails he does discounts most of the time.
Google Mailbox mod smoker, still uses a tube but is outside the chamber.
You could also find a low wattage hot plate and old cast or steel skillet to use with dust.

For things to cold smoke other than cheese. Butter, bacon, sausage, hams, peeled hard boiled eggs, just about anything you want to toss on the grill to cook, steaks, chops, burgers (an hour or two in the smoke then cook them) salmon and fish.

Hope to see it when you are done building and what you smoke in it.

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 01:37:57 PM »

Hi Canadian John,
One year Cabela’s had the Masterbuilt 30” electric smoker on sale on Black Friday for $119 with cover. I figured that gave me an insulated box for less than I could build one. I use that along with the little Amaz’n sawdust tray with sawdust for smoking cheese. The biggest hit I’ve had with my smoked cheese was with grapevine sawdust.
Keith

I also use my old Masterbuilt for cold smoking, using a tube smoker with pellets for smoke.  I did add a small fan to the back and a smokestack on top for when I make jerky, I smoke jerky at no more than 105f.

Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 02:49:51 PM »

I built one out of leftover OSB and some other things I had laying around. Didn't win any beauty contests, but it worked.

We have sinced moved and I have a much smaller garage. I scrapped it for space concerns so only used it a handful of times.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 03:11:55 PM »

I would have thought it would introduce different smells etc. Wood box doesn’t scare me at all, more the wood?

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 12:23:18 PM »

You can build them out of cardboard - which can fold up flat when not in use. Instead of electric hot plate, lots of folks use AMNPTS tray or tube:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Cardboard-Smoker/

Canadian John

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 08:06:46 AM »

You can build them out of cardboard - which can fold up flat when not in use. Instead of electric hot plate, lots of folks use AMNPTS tray or tube:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Cardboard-Smoker/
That is some smoker.
 Almost the perfect size. The cost is attractive to boot..If I go this route and find I'll use it more than once or twice a year, I can easily construct a more durable unit later.. The

advantages of corrugated cardboard are insulation and the ability to reposition the racks, something that would be harder to do with a wood or metal unit. A pellet tray/tube smoke source is a great idea.

Thanks bregent and to those that have or will input into this thread.  :)

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »

If you have an industrial park near you, one that may house and move inventory, they have large pallet size Triwall boxes, nice and thick carboard. You may be able to pick one up and turn it into what you want and it would be durable.

Big Bear

• Using less gas.
  • "BBQ, the reason Pig was created!"
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 04:32:40 PM »

I am a cheapo and have had in mind a cold smoker as well. Still working on it. I have an old mini fridge that stands about 3 1/2 ft tall which I have gutted. I am going to use some 1" PVC pipe as vents and chimney at bottom and top. I will place 1/4 turn valves on bottom vents to control air flow and then burn pellets in an Amaz-N-Smoker or in a pan on a hot plate (up in the air as to which) set up. It is stuffed away in a corner for now until I can burn through the other projects I got to burrow my way back to it...Just a thought I would share with you all...
Made in USA {2004}Lil Tex #7130 w\ Savannah Stoker v1 controller & retrofitted with SS drip pan, fire pot, HD flame shield & Modified with the Original Downdraft Scoop - 20 years old and Still Smoking!

Canadian John

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 08:40:07 AM »

It is gratifying to know I am not alone contemplating a smoker build..

OFF TOPIC: It is good to hear from you Big Bear, it has been a while.
Pages: [1]   Go Up