Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 19 Nov 2019
  • I am the Queen of the traditional Thanksgiving menu -- turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, cranberries, etc.  But I got to thinking about what would be more unique or different or creative for Thanksgiving?

I could not come up with much -- mine would be a take on a Hot Brown.  Keep the turkey, but using dressing instead of bread.  Keep the mornay sauce and the bacon, but substitue cranberries for the tomatoes -- or maybe a wedge of sweet potato. But that is still pretty Thanksgiving like.  Anyone with other ideas?
  • #2 by jgrayson on 19 Nov 2019
  • Hello,

My father doesn't eat poultry.  He says birds are descended from dinosaurs, and in his opinion dinosaurs don't taste good.  He might be right about birds being descendants of dinosaurs.  With this in mind, we frequently had seafood for Thanksgiving dinner - lobsters and crab cakes.  Sides are usually traditional Thanksgiving;  mashed potatoes, sometimes sweet potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, etc.
  • #3 by Kristin Meredith on 19 Nov 2019
  • Lobster and crab cakes for Thanksgiving sounds outstanding!!!  That may make the list for next year.
  • #4 by Bentley on 19 Nov 2019
  • Substitute diver scallops for the lobster and I am all in!
  • #5 by yorkdude on 19 Nov 2019
  • Growing up in California my folks always had Dungeness crab, prime rib and fettucini.
    I have priced the crab lately...boy howdy it sure is off the charts expensive now.
    I would have never guessed the price.
  • #6 by Hank D Thoreau on 19 Nov 2019
  • We often do items we have to assemble as a group, especially for Christmas, but this approach can easily be done for Thanksgiving.

Tamales are a classic. You can smoke the pork butt and have a group assembly. This is a holiday tradition in the Mexican community.

Jiaozi, a Chinese dumpling, is another thing we have done.

Wood fired pizza also works. I have four wooden pizza peels for assembling pizzas, and a metal peel for cooking. I cook them on my Daniel Boone.

This approach brings everyone together at the table. It often generates a bit of humor as folks struggle to develop the necessary skills.

Getting folks involved is a good ice breaker. It keeps you from separating into kitchen and non kitchen folks.
  • #7 by cookingjnj on 19 Nov 2019
  • Substitute diver scallops for the lobster and I am all in!

+1
  • #8 by Jimsbarbecue on 19 Nov 2019
  • The last couple years have done a prime rib roast. Smoke for 60 to 90 minutes then sous vide to finish cooking. Thanks giving and Christmas is at one of our adopted family homes. This is why the sous vide works so well.  It gives a big allowance in time depending on the rest of the meal. We have done smoked salmon and king crab legs. Years ago my nephew decided we didn’t need to eat dry turkey
  • #9 by glitchy on 19 Nov 2019
  • Ours are usually turkey or prime rib, with green bean casserole and hash brown casserole so not a lot of help. Wish the girls ate seafood as crab legs would be nice.
  • #10 by Hank D Thoreau on 20 Nov 2019
  • Green bean casserole. Where is the mid-west are you from?
  • #11 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Nov 2019

I spent 50 yesr in California, the final 30 in SoCal, and I make a mean green bean casserole.  Don't be so provincial in your cooking Hank! :pig:
  • #12 by urnmor on 20 Nov 2019
  • My lovely wife, Claire, is from Baltimore and it is traditional to have sauerkraut on Thanksgiving..  First time I had dinner at Thanksgiving t her parents house they’ had it.  All I will say it killed the meal for me as the beautiful smell of turkey died an inglorious death to the smell os the sauerkraut .  Needless to say not at our house.   :cool:
  • #13 by glitchy on 20 Nov 2019

Iowa
  • #14 by ZCZ on 20 Nov 2019

Iowa

MN - a staple here as well.

Z
  • #15 by Bentley on 20 Nov 2019
  • I never considered green bean casserole a regional dish either...I always just assumed a marketing ploy of Campbell's soup.
Pages:
Actions