Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by yorkdude on 20 Nov 2019
  • It is a big item here in Kansas, I don't like it but I am by far in the minority.
  • #17 by egmont on 20 Nov 2019
  • It’s not a true Thanksgiving meal without it...
  • #18 by Hank D Thoreau on 22 Nov 2019
  • Green bean casserole. Where is the mid-west are you from?

I spent 50 yesr in California, the final 30 in SoCal, and I make a mean green bean casserole.  Don't be so provincial in your cooking Hank! :pig:

Yesterday I was perusing the internet and found an article on the most searched savory Thanksgiving recipe by state. Idaho, Wisconsin, Kansas, Missouri, and New Mexico were green bean casserole. More interesting was the split between pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie on the desert map with sweet potato pie being big in Georgia, South Carolina and North Caroline, and pumpkin pie dominating the west, mid west and Rocky Mountain states. I think what folks are missing is butternut squash pie. My mother used to make it from squashes she grew in her garden. So what does this all mean? It means that every time you do a search it is getting recorded, analyzed and acted upon in ways we can only begin to understand.
  • #19 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Nov 2019
  • I always had green bean casserole growing up, so as an adult I continued the tradition.
    I was never a big fan of it until I made it from a scratch recipe I found on line.
    Fresh green beans, a variety of fresh mushrooms, freshly fried shallots instead of the canned onions, crispy fresh bacon bits, and a rich roux.
    Now, that was a casserole.

Sounds like how I make mine.  You can always take a classic and give it a good updating!!! (I use sauted pearl onions instead of shallots, but shallots sound good.)
  • #20 by Clonesmoker on 22 Nov 2019
  • We always have to have that 3 layer jello salad. Green jello followed by a layer of filling that has pineapple in it and then a layer of red jello on top.
Pages:
Actions