Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building comunity, one grill at a time.  (Read 833 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Building comunity, one grill at a time.
« on: September 16, 2017, 12:08:33 AM »

I've been working on an older grill, trying to get it ready to go for a community meal next week. I've been hauling it in and out of a shed in a back alley to work on. The thing that has amazed me is the number of people passing by that I've been able to talk with and get to know. Tonight there were 4 kids around 10-12 years old who came around wanting to help. Gave them some wire brushes and they had a great time talking and working away.

A grill is more than a device to make food for consumption. It is a device that brings people together and allows them to share in a common experience. It's about building community; whether it is a meal with family and friends, or meeting people walking down the street.

That is what I like about this site. People coming together to form a virtual community that allows folks to learn from each other and share common experiences (and also some uncommon ones, based on the “oops stories” shared in a recent thread)! I would like to add my thanks to those previously voiced by others. Thank you to all who have put in the time and effort to get this site up and going. It is appreciated.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Queball

Re: Building comunity, one grill at a time.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 05:58:36 AM »

A grill is more than a device to make food for consumption. It is a device that brings people together and allows them to share in a common experience. It's about building community;

Interesting observation and sentiment .... I'd say you're spot on!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 07:44:09 AM »

Tonight there were 4 kids around 10-12 years old who came around wanting to help. Gave them some wire brushes and they had a great time talking and working away.

A grill is more than a device to make food for consumption. It is a device that brings people together and allows them to share in a common experience. It's about building community; whether it is a meal with family and friends, or meeting people walking down the street.

Loved reading this.  I think a lot of kids don't get enough time and interaction with adults. I think they also crave being useful and yes, learning skills, but also learning to work together and learning that adults care.  Thanks for sharing with them.  I appreciate what you are saying about the forum, but I appreciate even more what you are doing in your community.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 05:34:28 PM »

Some great things happened last week during for the community meal. We cooked 30 whole chickens, three fatties, and a bunch of baked beans. We also did a few rib tips because they were there and there was room on the grill! Here is the first batch of 21 ready to go, "All in a Row"!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

The next picture is of a couple of kids who would normally prefer to stare at their phones than most anything else in the world. They decided to help with the fatties. They were not all that excited about it until we rolled the logs and did the bacon basket weave to put around it. By the time we were done, they were pleased with what they accomplished.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

There is a local butcher who makes incredibly good sausage. This has his Italian herb sausage on the outside, ground beef in the middle, and loose cheddar, bacon, brat sausage in the middle. Below are the fatties and some of the chicken coming in off the grill.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

The chicken was cooked on Tuesday, the day before the dinner. I figured since the grill would be empty, it would be a good time to do some baked beans.
I told a friend of mine about the grill and the batch of beans I was going to do. He is the owner of a business called “Metalcaters”. They melt and pour metals of all kinds into various molds. Over the years they have created a nice nitch market for a wide variety of products.

Last week he told me to walk with him to his truck. He told me if I was doing large meals on a large grill I needed a large pan to cook it in. Below is Andy, the owner of “Metalcasters” with the cast iron skillet he made for me! It is probably one of the coolest gifts I have ever received.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Here is a shot of the beans cooked on the Traeger for 3 hours before the dinner. It is a modified version of the modified version of “Keri's Hog-Apple baked beans”. When I cut and pasted the recipe from the old web site I forgot to include the name of the person who originally modified it. It includes 2 - #10 cans Baked beans; 1 fattie sliced and diced; 2 cans apple pie filling; 1 bottle SBR BBQ sauce; onions; red, orange, and yellow peppers; yellow mustard; garlic and other assorted seasonings. Probably got as many compliments on the beansas we did the chicken.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Getting ready to serve:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »

Sorry about the sideways pics. Is there a way to rotate them?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »

Sideways or not, great pics and an even better story.  Thanks for sharing and for what you are doing for your community!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 07:08:38 PM »

If they are oriented correctly when you attach them, I do not know.  I always use MS Photo Gallery to get them on my computer and if they need to be rotated, I do it there.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 07:21:20 PM »

If they are oriented correctly when you attach them, I do not know.  I always use MS Photo Gallery to get them on my computer and if they need to be rotated, I do it there.

Thanks, I'll work on how and where I save them. They were good going in. Personally I think it's the red guy flipping them when nobody is looking!

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 10:38:39 PM »

That whole story is awesome!  And that skillet is the BEST!!  :cool:
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: [1]   Go Up