Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by sharpstick on 22 Nov 2019
  • Hi gang, I am looking to get into making sausage/pepperoni sticks etc and almost every recipe/video guys are using a cabinet style smoker to do the smoking/hanging the meat. I have a RecTec RT 700 so obviously I wouldn't be able to hang the meat. Also, many recipes call for a lower temp for a duration or the cook than what the Rec Tec goes down to. What are some good options for smokers for doing sausage/peperoni sticks etc or do they even need to be hung? Could you still make them on the rack of the RT 700? Does anyone do this?

Thank you in advance.
    SS
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 22 Nov 2019
  • I have a Pit Boss Copperhead 7. Nice cooker double walled, goes down to 150° but the controller has a mind of its own at times. I will be replacing mine with a Pellet Pro controller I have it will go down to 160°. If I had to buy new controller I would probably go Savannah Stoker.

Pellet Pro has a nice vertical also, if it was out when I bought mine I believe that is the one I would have went with.

If you have the coin, I don't, Cookshack FEC100 or 120 would be the way to go possibly
  • #3 by triplebq on 22 Nov 2019
  • I have a Cookshack FEC120. If I were you and Cookshack was on my list I would try to find one used. There are a few different models for sale on eBay. I found mine on Craiglist.
  • #4 by Bentley on 22 Nov 2019
  • You should be able to just put them in your pit.  I am not sure what I am missing here?  How low will your unit go?  Do you have temperature probes to see?

• #5 by MysticRhythms on 23 Nov 2019
  • I am not familiar with the RecTec but if you are worried about the sticks getting too hot you could always place a pan of ice between the sticks and the heat.
    This is what I used to do on my Traeger.
    On the other hand, if you are looking for a reason to buy a new smoker then forget what I said.
  • #6 by Free Mr. Tony on 24 Nov 2019
  • I'm not sure what the rt-700 looks like inside these days, but I'm certain that you could fairly easily rig something up to hang. The hanging isn't necessary (like Bentley showed), but sometimes it does help smoke more evenly and helps with consistent color.

I've rigged hanging systems in almost every smoker I've had.

Like mentioned above, you could probably take the racks out and set an ice pan right on the drip tray. That way you could gain some room under what you want to hang.
  • #7 by sharpstick on 26 Nov 2019
  • Thanks guys.
    Bentley, that looks like it would work just fine. Do you happen to have the recipe for those pep sticks?
    The RT goes down to 180, there is a lower setting but mine seems to hang out at 180. from what I have read, this may be a little too warm for sausage/pep sticks??? Not sure, I haven't made them yet but am looking forward to trying them.
    There isn't much room for hanging anything in it so I would likely do what Bent did in his pics.
    I will keep my eyes open for a used cabinet style such as the ones mentioned.

Thanks gang, appreciate the feedback.
  • #8 by Bentley on 26 Nov 2019
  • I do not.  But I hope when some of the guys that make them see this, they will help you out, as there were a few on Pelletheads that use to make them.  I am a Slim Jimm guy and have never been able to even get close to that flavor!

Do you happen to have the recipe for those pep sticks?
Pages:
Actions