Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: your own BBQ vs a BBQ Joint  (Read 1232 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
your own BBQ vs a BBQ Joint
« on: November 22, 2019, 05:51:18 PM »

We were given a gift certificate to a BBQ place so we decided to use it on this rainy day.  I had the BBQ plate which consists of a half rack of ribs, brisket and pull pork with two sides of mac and cheese and bake beans.  So I decided to rate them against my own. (Now I fully understand this is subjective) I gave the brisket an A as it was very tasty and IMO better than mine.  The ribs a B and the pull pork a B and C respectively as I thought mine were much better.  The pork was down graded to a C because it was chopped which I do not like.  Unfortunately the two side were on the low end of a D-.  Mac was over cooked.  The beans were way to spicy and IMO took away from a great side dish. 

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: your own BBQ vs a BBQ Joint
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 07:39:35 PM »

A lot of folks think it is strange that we very rarely eat at bbq places.  You have just articulated the reason why -- our stuff is better 99 out of a 100 times.  So I prefer to spend my dollars on something I don't have at home.  Most of the time that is a place with a great salad bar!!!

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 07:58:12 PM »

A lot of folks think it is strange that we very rarely eat at bbq places.  You have just articulated the reason why -- our stuff is better 99 out of a 100 times.  So I prefer to spend my dollars on something I don't have at home.  Most of the time that is a place with a great salad bar!!!

Exactly my philosophy also.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 08:25:58 PM »

This topic has been around the block a few times on many forums.
Hey, the PF family can cook/smoke WAY better than the commercial BBQ joints.
No question about it.
WAY!!

Example - I took some Calico Beans to a competition. (Mrs. ZCZ's recipe - slightly modified) Not to enter. Just to have with our food.
Bentley wound up taking the leftovers back with him. Kristin PMed me saying that they were the best beans she has ever had.
We often loose track of just how good our preparations are.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:37:33 PM by Trooper »
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 04:13:51 AM »

Same thing here, I bet it’s been 6 plus years since we had any restaurant cooked bbq. We also opt for something that we can’t or rarely cook.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 09:40:31 AM »

For me, it depends on the BBQ joint.  Mine is better than some and not as good as others.  There's a chain that's based in San Antonio that I can't stand.  I think they cook brisket with Live Oak wood because it tastes bitter.  It looks good but the taste comes back to haunt you.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 10:07:57 AM »

For me, it depends on the BBQ joint.  Mine is better than some and not as good as others.  There's a chain that's based in San Antonio that I can't stand.  I think they cook brisket with Live Oak wood because it tastes bitter.  It looks good but the taste comes back to haunt you.

Bitterness may be from too much smoke and is the taste of creosote
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »

Bitterness may be from too much smoke and is the taste of creosote

It must be that then.  When I was a kid, one of my uncles gave my dad a bunch of Live Oak wood and everything we cooked with it was like that, so that's why I thought it was the wood.  It was never bitter with mesquite.  Either way I don't care for that BBQ joint except for the salad with turkey on top.  The girls love eating there because they apparently have really good fried chicken.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 01:22:06 PM »

I wonder if the meaning of "home cooking" somehow ties into this? We develop certain tastes as a result.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 01:34:55 PM »

I would imagine that if we left our products on the stove all day waiting to be served/sold they also would be less desirable.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 01:40:38 PM »

I would imagine that if we left our products on the stove all day waiting to be served/sold they also would be less desirable.  :2cents:

I absolutely agree.  I don't know how bbq joints do it.  To me, it seems the most successful are the ones that cook a certain amount and when it is gone, it is gone.  Restuarants would just be a nightmare for holding bbq IMO.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »

My brother keeps his food in steam tables and in covered pans in a side warming box on his cooker.  Pulled pork has a lot of sauce mixed in it to help it stay moist and he keeps the brisket in beef stock.  Mac n cheese and baked beans are also in the steam table pans.  Ribs, wings, sausage, and chicken leg quarters are kept on the smoker or in covered pans in the warming box.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 04:35:20 PM »

Same thing here, I bet it’s been 6 plus years since we had any restaurant cooked bbq. We also opt for something that we can’t or rarely cook.
Every post on this subject is spot on. I also do not like eating steak out. Way to easy cooking killer steak but last year or two not able to find butcher with quality meat.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 04:51:08 PM »

If I go to a BBQ joint I normally order brisket.  I do ribs, sausage and pork butts all the time and they are great.   I rarely do brisket.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 09:05:58 PM »

I still look for BBQ's everywhere I go. I like to eat good brisket more than I like to spend the time cooking it. Also, it is very difficult to find thick cut beef ribs for home. The ones that are sliced off the rib roast.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up