Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voice Controlled Pit  (Read 1996 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Voice Controlled Pit
« on: November 24, 2019, 08:27:23 AM »

I was recently notified by Traeger that their WiFi controlled pits will include Alexia voice control..What next?  As modern and potentially convenient as this is, what is the pit going to do with people grouped

around talking?

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Voice Controlled Pit
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »

LOL I saw this. I bet it will be a big seller.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »

I was recently notified by Traeger that their WiFi controlled pits will include Alexia voice control..What next?  As modern and potentially convenient as this is, what is the pit going to do with people grouped

around talking?

You have to say specific commands to "turn on" the voice control like "Hey Google" or "Hey Alexa".  It will then listen to what comes after that and take action.  Then it will wait for the next time it hears the command to "listen" again.  So, people around the grill talking won't have any influence on the grill unless they say "Hey Google" and have been setup to have their voice recognized by the unit.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

MysticRhythms

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 04:13:36 PM »

At least there would be something at the house that would listen to us.

Just a joke Honey, honest.
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 11:17:08 AM »

I am not a fan of all this voice tech stuff.  It gives me the creeps to know that a device and by default the developer can listen in at any point.  The device is ready to go and listening to hear its key words to start giving answers or complete commands.  It has already come out that the developer listens randomly to insure the tech is performing properly and to improve/innovate new tech.  No Alexa, google assistant, or Hey Siri is happening in my house.  The last truck I bought in 2004 frustrated me because in order to get leather seats I had to have a heater that ran itself.....all I wanted was the knobs to turn, "I can do it myself" is my motto.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 02:24:51 PM »

I'm just the opposite, I've automated everything that I could and am still working doing the rest. Additionally, I just sold a very nice older SUV so that I could buy a new one with all of the latest safety and convenience gadgets.  :o
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 10:32:46 AM »

I'm just the opposite, I've automated everything that I could and am still working doing the rest. Additionally, I just sold a very nice older SUV so that I could buy a new one with all of the latest safety and convenience gadgets.  :o

haha, to each their own.  If you like it, go all in!  I sit behind a computer all day for work, not dealing with tech at home is getting time off.  Last thing I want to do is trouble shoot a program when my smart house lights or heater are not turning on as programmed.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 11:28:17 AM »

I am not a fan of all this voice tech stuff.  It gives me the creeps to know that a device and by default the developer can listen in at any point.  The device is ready to go and listening to hear its key words to start giving answers or complete commands.  It has already come out that the developer listens randomly to insure the tech is performing properly and to improve/innovate new tech.  No Alexa, google assistant, or Hey Siri is happening in my house.  The last truck I bought in 2004 frustrated me because in order to get leather seats I had to have a heater that ran itself.....all I wanted was the knobs to turn, "I can do it myself" is my motto.
+1

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 01:16:21 PM »

+1

+2
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700
Pages: [1]   Go Up