Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by sharpstick on 26 Nov 2019
  • I own a RT 700 and ordered it with the cold smoke box option and Comp cart.
    I would like to hang sausage/pepperoni sticks in the cold smoke box as the temps are lower but there is a 50-80 difference from the bottom temp gauge to the top. the smoke comes in the top and out the top of the box (poor design in my opinion.) I wish they would have raised the box and had the smoke come in the bottom of the box and then it would stay a more even temp I'm sure. Has anyone done any mods to theirs that would help with more even temps in the smoke box attachment?

Thank you.
    ss
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Nov 2019
  • That is why I like the MAK version of the side chamber cold smoker.  Maybe 20 degree swing from top to bottom but also has a damper on the back to choke it off too.
  • #3 by Th3Batman86 on 26 Nov 2019
  • Sadly I find the thing worthless. I have at RT680 with the cold smoke box and never used it. Tried jerky once but the temp difference is somewhat unmanageable. I then thought I might use it to hold things warm but the box is too small, trays do not fit in it. I have had it for almost two years and it just sits there attached to the grill, unused.
  • #4 by garmp on 20 Dec 2019
  • I do a lot of cold smoking, but my cold smoking emits no heat at all. I have an A-Maz-N tube smoker that works pretty well, but it add a strong almost bitter taste, in my opinion. My preferred way is with a tin can, a cheap Harbor Freight soldering iron, and alder chips. Fire up the soldering iron in the can full of Alder and close the lid. I smoke precooked/grilled shrimp, cheese, butter, Frito's and nuts and even bourbon.
    It is a lot different than making jerky.
  • #5 by pmillen on 20 Dec 2019
  • I have an A-Maz-N tube smoker that works pretty well, but it add a strong almost bitter taste, in my opinion. My preferred way is with a tin can, a cheap Harbor Freight soldering iron, and alder chips. Fire up the soldering iron in the can full of Alder and close the lid. I smoke precooked/grilled shrimp, cheese, butter, Frito's and nuts and even bourbon.

I agree with your A-Maz-N Tube assessment.  I bought two sizes, tried them a couple of times and gave them away.  They made heavy, white, creosote laden smoke.

It appears that you MacGyvered a good solution.

BTW:  Welcome aboard.
  • #6 by plantzva on 07 Mar 2020
  • Love this idea, ended up with the RT-590 only because people didn't seem so happy with the cold smoke box, love the ideas.  Anyone considered modifying their rec tec with a rotisserie? Think this is something I'm gonna do...
  • #7 by Canadian John on 08 Mar 2020

•  Looking @ the box I see a straight thru air/smoke design. That would definitely cause an even across the top grate temp and lower temps below with a somewhat static air flow.  Ideally the incoming air should

be @ the bottom exhausting @ the top..The box could be modified to do that. It would be a lot of work and require a support structure for the higher mounted box... What may help is a diffuser to direct the flow

and the exhausting air more from the top by fabricating a baffle much like a clothes dryer vent used on the outside of one's house. The incoming facing down with the outgoing facing up. These shouldn't be too

hard nor expensive to make. Two machine screws, nuts and flat washers should hold the baffles in place..This would work like the downdraught system that used to be popular a few years back.
  • #8 by Canadian John on 08 Mar 2020
  •  
     Ideally the inlet baffle should extend to the bottom as stated above. To do so the shelves would have to have cut out.. To test things out. Remove the shelving and install a piece of flexible metal dryer tubing

from the intake to ~ 3 -4 " from the bottom..Fire it up, let the temps stabilize and see what the smoke box temps are doing. That should give you a good idea of the mod's worth.
  • #9 by KrautBurner on 14 Apr 2020
  • I ordered a RT-700 BULL last week (with the Cold Smoker Box and the Competition Cart)

It should be delivered tomorrow afternoon,   I'm hoping to try doing a couple bellies of bacon in the box this weekend

I've heard that people like to run the fan (without heat) and use a smoke tube (I've got a Smok'n Wedgie) to get true COLD SMOKE in the box  (I know that the WEDGIE gets my Traeger too hot to smoke cheese when it's in the main chamber and the outside temp is above 50)
Pages:
Actions