Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > FEC/Cookshack

Let's talk turkey...

(1/4) > >>

rdsbucks:
Anyone doing a turkey on a PG500/1000? Anyone brining? Cutting up to cook white and dark meat separately? What are you doing/what do you recommend?

Th3Batman86:
Last year I did out second turkey in pieces all separately. I loved it. Everything got better color and smoke flavor as well as cooking to its own best temperature. I think I will do it this year as well. I plan on a dry brine of just salt if it is thawed enough ( i was a bit behind the game on that) if it is not then just a saltwater brine to also help thaw.

W6YJ:
Try looking up:
Latin American spatchcock a turkey.
Easier than normal spatchcocking (don't need to remove the backbone), and separates the white meat from the dark meat allowing you to get both to the right temps.

triplebq:
I just did 2 Turkeys on my FEC120 but have done them on my PG500 that I use to own. I always brine my Turkeys and do them whole. One was for a friend for Thanksgiving and one was used for pulled turkey that I vac seal and put in my freezer. I have never done one spatchcock but I know a few friends who has and they love it.

pmillen:

--- Quote from: W6YJ on November 26, 2019, 10:39:12 PM ---Try looking up:
Latin American spatchcock a turkey.
Easier than normal spatchcocking (don't need to remove the backbone), and separates the white meat from the dark meat allowing you to get both to the right temps.

--- End quote ---

This old thread addressed it too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View