Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Th3Batman86 on 01 Dec 2019
  • Well, I ordered a new pit. Some of you may have seen that RecTec had a "cyberweekend" sale and they got me with it. I am finishing up my bachelors degree (this is the last couple weeks of my last term) and my wife said a new pit was my present. This was decided way back when I first went back to college. Orignially it was going to be a Yoder YS1500 but after 3 years of college and a lot of time to look at pits I just new that I was not going to want to deal with the paint issue that Yoder's have. From there I moved to a MAK figuring that would solve the paint issue pluss they are made not too far from me. But then RecTec came out with the BFG 2500

I waffled on the RecTec for some time. Some of you may recall my post about my bullseye grill and my somewhat negative expierence with Ray Carnes. That turned me off from RecTec for quite a while. To the point where I would drive people to purchase something else if they were thinking about buying a RecTec. However, looking at the market right now for grills the value proposition for the BFG just cannot be beat.

2500 sq. in
    All stainless interior including shelves
    Comp Cart w/shelf
    Wifi and temp probes
    6 year warranty
    53 lb hopper
    Ceramic igniter

All of that for $2800. I couldn't get close to that amount of room or other specs with any other brand. Granted the shelves are a little close together so their marketing of 15 briskets and 30 pork butts might be a little of a reach. But real world examples on the facebook page show 150lb pigs, 15 whole turkeys, and 8 spatchcocked. That is good enough for me. And I am like Bentley in that cleaning my pit is not my top priority so the all stainless appeals to me quite a bit. Finally, based on my two years of ownership with the RT680 I know that there is no noticable paint problem and I have left it out in the rain a time or 10 with no problems. All in all, it is a good "china" pit.

While I am still not crazy about what went down, or the "rectec lifestyle" (I hate those horns) I have to spend my money where I can get the most for it. And I just couldn't find a better deal than the BFG. I wasn't planning to buy until January but then they released this deal. If I ordered the "Platinum Package" they were throwing in a free grill. I did a double take on that. The package is the BFG plus a cover and grill mat, rubs and sauces, grill grates, frog mats, and 400lbs of pellets. There is a $500 markup for all of that but they claim it is a $700 value. In any case, they are throwing in a free RT340 (basically their junior model which retails for $600). When I told my wife about the deal she said "well you should probably order it now don't you think?" (love that woman).

So there you have it, on its way to me is a new RT 2500 BFG and a new RT 340. And on it, I will eat the crow of dislike for Ray Carnes becuase they still got me to buy another RecTec grill.
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 01 Dec 2019
  • Good luck, having the past issues would have made me not even consider another one of their products.
    Be interested in hearing how it works. Many of the people on the FB pages complain they don't give much if any smoke flavor, I never tasted much on my 680 either. The GMG on the other hand it is pronounced.
  • #3 by pmillen on 01 Dec 2019
  • A good write-up.

Many of us have probably reneged on a position.  I swore that I would never do business with Walmart, but I spend about $50 a year there.
  • #4 by Th3Batman86 on 01 Dec 2019
  • A good write-up.

Many of us have probably reneged on a position.  I swore that I would never do business with Walmart, but I spend about $50 a year there.

I actively try to avoid Walmart as well. Last year I caught them having different prices on the same thing in different parts of the store. It was mustard. They had "impulse buy" mustard in the garden center/grilling department for a dollar more than in the grocery. Really irked me.
  • #5 by Th3Batman86 on 01 Dec 2019
  • Many of the people on the FB pages complain they don't give much if any smoke flavor, I never tasted much on my 680 either. The GMG on the other hand it is pronounced.

I get enough on my RT680. It is not a ton but my wife doesn't like a strong smoke flavor. To me it is just enough to say "hey, this wasn't boiled or steamed or cooked in an oven" lets people take notice of something they don't normally taste without overpowering.
  • #6 by Ralphie on 02 Jan 2020
  • I’d love to hear how the BFG performs. I’ve always wanted a pellet grill that can easily cook a large whole hog.
    Side note: my RT-590 Stampede imparts plenty of smoke in my opinion.  Particularly if used at 225 degrees. Maybe not quite as much as my stick burning days but I actually chalk that up to understanding “clean” smoke now, or blue smoke.
  • #7 by Th3Batman86 on 02 Jan 2020
  • The first one I got it looked like UPS had rolled it down a hill. So it had to be sent back. RecTec was good do deal with on this. Sending out another one and a BOL for the return. UPS did not deliver the new on until this last Tuesday the 31. It arrived in good shape. After opening it and inspecting I took a look at the casters that came with it and decided they would not do. They are solid rubber 6" casters and maybe .5" actually makes contact with the ground. This is find for rolling across smooth concrete but to get into my backyard there is gravel and uneven grass. I have ordered some 8" pneumatic casters and am waiting for them to arrive. Once I get it put together I will get some more pics and info up here. RecTec Facebook has a BFG owners page that I spy on (I don't actually have a facebook account but it is open to view I just cannot comment) and people there seem happy with it. But I guess time will tell. There is a YouTube video of someone using a Tappacue (I think) to test the pit and it seems to be wildly off from set temp. But I have not seen that complaint elsewhere. My 680 always performed admirably so I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

I love cooking whole hog. I have done two in Caja China boxes and one on a Meadow Creek PR42. I am looking forward to trying a hog on this for sure!!
  • #8 by okie smokie on 14 Jan 2020
  • Heck of a deal!.  Best of whole pigs to you.  Nice to see someone who likes to cook for a crowd. I've been very pleased with the attention and quick service response. Yes there is a lot of marketing BS on their website, but obviously they are doing well with it. Can't wait to hear about your new adventures. As for smoke flavor, I think at temps around 200-220 there is much smoke from my Stampede. Above 220* a different feed pace and rhythm results is less smoke.  Whether the lower settings transmits to more smoke flavor, I cannot say, except we are very satisfied.  I have tried putting a few chunks of hickory on the heat deflector under the drip tray for low temp cooking with increased smoke taste. Not much clearance there but it works. Just watched a demo to determine that very issue between a stick burner, pellet grill (MAK II), and a weber smoke kettle.  Three St.Louis racks all seasoned the same. They were hard pressed to say there was more smoke flavor in any of the three, but preferred the stick burner ribs for over all taste and texture , but margin was not impressive. Of course the Weber had a distinct charcoal flavor, for those who prefer it. ?
Pages:
Actions