Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Sep 2017

• It is our SIL's birthday and we are having the whole family (8 adults) to dinner to celebrate.  She loves how Bent does salmon, so asked for that.  He will be cooking a 3 lb filet (I guess it is called a filet even at that size) on the Memphis Pro.  He is going to brine it with some fresh dill and make a dill mayo sauce to go with it.  He is making himself a Chicken Fried Steak! I am making scalloped potatoes and candied carrots as sides.

She said she preferred pie to cake and wanted rhubarb like I made several weeks back.  Our markets don't have any fresh rhubarb left and I don't like the canned in a pie.  So she said any fruit pie was ok.  Since we are still having a bit of warm weather, I thought a mixed berry pie (blackberry, raspberry, blueberry) would be a nice remembrance of summer.  It is in the oven now.
  • #2 by Queball on 16 Sep 2017
  • I have nothing special planned, but I'd be happy to come over and do a turkey for you!  ???
    • Queball
  • #3 by sleebus.jones on 16 Sep 2017
  • How about some Friday night catfish?

• #4 by Queball on 16 Sep 2017
  • How about lookin really tasty!
    • Queball
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Sep 2017
  • Looks good, did you have hush puppies with it?
  • #6 by okie smokie on 16 Sep 2017

How did you transfer your imgur  to this post?
  • #7 by TLK on 16 Sep 2017
  • Nothing - AAA hockey tournament in town and I am either linesman or ref in 10 games over three days.
  • #8 by sleebus.jones on 16 Sep 2017
  • Looks good, did you have hush puppies with it?

Nope, this is blackened catfish, so no batter to work with.  We had beer as a side.   :D

okie smokie: I just cut and pasted the link from imgur that you get when you click on the pic in your album.
  • #9 by Queball on 16 Sep 2017
  • TLK,

Thou art going to have some sore legs after 10 games as a ref. Obviously, you've been a player. ....Where did you play?
    • Queball
  • #10 by Free Mr. Tony on 16 Sep 2017
  • Made a quadruple batch of chili last night to mostly vac seal for the coming months. Currently making a double batch of chicken tortilla soup to also mostly vac seal. Plan on making some sausage/ricotta ravioli at some point, and using the leftover sausage for sausage rolls tomorrow.
  • #11 by Queball on 16 Sep 2017
  • Gosh! .... Talk about a busy camper!
    • Queball
  • #12 by Bobitis on 16 Sep 2017

Take me back to Texas...

Fried catfish, fried okra, black eyed peas w/collard greens and bacon, biscuits and gravy, yellow meated water melon, sweet tea, pecan pie...
    And that was just supper.  :lick:

Who knew someone from WA state had such a vast knowledge of southern cuisine?

• #13 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Sep 2017
  • Ohhhhh, sausage rolls.  Are you doing them in puff pastry?
  • #14 by Bentley on 16 Sep 2017
  • Curious about the amount of butter/fat/oil in the pan?  I was under the impression that blackened was strictly butter dipped fish, then dredged in rub and cooked in very hot cast iron skillet?  Is that the method you use?

Nope, this is blackened catfish...
  • #15 by sleebus.jones on 16 Sep 2017
  • Curious about the amount of butter/fat/oil in the pan?  I was under the impression that blackened was strictly butter dipped fish, then dredged in rub and cooked in very hot cast iron skillet?  Is that the method you use?

Yep, you are 100% correct.  However, this is at about the 5# (!) mark of catfish going through that pan.   8)  I was going to use butter, but ended up using peanut oil, so what you're seeing is the oil/fat from the previous 5# of fish and I didn't dump it out.  I also don't cook at the recommended thermonuclear temp of "white-ash dry pan" because of the incredible mess and smoke that it makes...I've got a really good vent hood, but I'd need a commercial one to keep up!  I cook with a medium-fast pan.  However, one day, I'm gonna break out my king cooker, get that pan insanely hot and do it outside in the backyard just to see how it'd go. 
Pages:
Actions