Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooking Aroma  (Read 1269 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Cooking Aroma
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 12:19:47 AM »

Then saute sliced onions with a pinch of S&P, chopped garlic, a little brown sugar, a couple splashes of dry sherry and a few drops of vanilla extract.  I like to saute until the onions caramelize to a deep brown. Makes a great side with the meat, and smells awesome when cooking.

This is very high on my short list.  About how long does it take?  (I ask so I can try to time them to be ready with the meat.)
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
Re: Cooking Aroma
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 01:31:10 AM »

I usually start the onions in EVOO/Butter/ghee with S&P on a medium heat for about 15 minutes to get them soft and translucent.  I add the chopped garlic  and stir to get the garlic starting to cook.   Cook the garlic about 2-3 minutes, add the sherry (you can base the amount of liquid on how much onion you have in the pan), brown sugar and drops of vanilla before the garlic starts to burn.  This is the height of the aroma's!!  Continue on medium to low and stir until you get the color you are looking for.  If it is drying out, add another dash of sherry.      Sorry, don't have a recipe, I usually use 2 medium sized onions, a couple of table spoons of EVOO/butter/ghee, a couple of tablespoons garlic, couple teaspoons brown sugar and sherry to deglaze the pan and continue saute the onions.  Start to finish is about 30 - 40 minutes.  It can go longer if you want to caramelize the onions even more.   

I did not add mushrooms in this description, but they go great as well.  I usually add the mushrooms if I make them with the onions, right before adding the sherry.  I toss them with the onions then add the sherry.  It might not sound like they should go together, but try mushrooms with a little vanilla.  You will not be disappointed if you like mushrooms.

Looking forward to hearing how it all works out.  Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up